Hi David,

Two years ago when I first became involved with Linux, I knew absolutely
nothing about it (zip, zero, zilch).  I purchased an I32 version, installed
it according to the installation instructions, and proceeded to study it and
learn what I needed to know about it.  I have been continuing to do so ever
since, and whenever I need to user another part of Linux that I've never
really paid attention to, it's back to the books and other resources.  I had
lots of questions which were answered very quickly and in detail from the
good folks on the various Linux newsgroups.

When I installed my first Linux/390 image (the original Marrist image) I
followed the installation instructions, and asked many questions of this
support group.

I do not consider VM to be any more complex than Linux.  It certainly helps
if you have a background in it's core technology (i.e. mainframes in
general, 3270 usage, things of that nature), but the opposite was true of me
when I first started with Linux (i.e. I knew none of the languages it used,
it's command syntax was/is incredibly fussy both in terms of
mIxEdcAsErEsPEctEd commands, there was no centralized library to turn to for
well written, cross-referenced and indexed information like an IBM SLSS,
etc. etc.).

But ultimately, you have to decide to either learn the system you are tasked
with supporting, or contract out the support of it. At least with VM (as is
the case of all IBM mainframe systems) you have VAST libraries of data to
reference with clear, well written and understandable instructions (take a
look at z/VM Program Directory - step-by-step clear instructions on how to
install a z/VM system).  With Linux there are only contributions made by
either the author or somebody else written in as much detail as they chose
to include, not cross-referenced to other related documents, often with no
practical examples, etc. etc. - you've heard the gripe from us IBM types
before.  :)

So for those folks who are saying that they want to use VM to host Linux/390
server farms, but they don't want to know anything about VM - it's kind of
like me saying I want to use Linux to run advanced web serving, database and
networking tasks - but I don't want to know anything about it.  It doesn't
work that way, you need to make an investment in understanding the system
you are supporting, at least to a level that you feel comfortable with.

Of course, that's just my $.02.  :)

Michael Coffin, VM Systems Programmer
Internal Revenue Service - Room 6527
1111 Constitution Avenue, N.W.
Washington, D.C.  20224

Voice: (202) 927-4188   FAX:  (202) 622-3123
[EMAIL PROTECTED]