Mark,

> It's always worked fine for me.
> I just went through a new SP1 install on my test
What steps did you take? I found if you leave space on /dev/dasda, then
click "LVM", that the free space on /dev/dasda would not be available for
use in a volume group.

> system, just to make sure nothing had changed with SP1.
I am using a SLES 10 SP2 beta - but I will assume that should not be any
different.

A colleague suggested a way to get this accomplished. I have two 3338 cyl
minidisks that become /dev/dasda and /dev/dasdb. From the "Expert
Partitioner" window:
1) Click "Create" => choose "/dev/dasda" => choose "Format, ext3" =>
choose your size and "Mount point" (/ for example)
2) Click "Create" => choose "/dev/dasda" => choose "Do not format" =>
enter all blanks for "Mount point" (I see now that the last entry in the
dropdown menu is "blanks" - aha - the hidden key :)).

Then when you click the "LVM" button /dev/dasda2 and /dev/dasdb are
available.  Note the inconsistentcy - I did not have to create a
/dev/dasdb1 for /dev/dasdb to be available to LVM, but I did have to do
this extra step for /dev/dasda. I would suggest for the installer to be
more usable, that any volume with free space be available for use by LVM.
Or there should be an entry on the "Create a primary partition" window to
suggest "for use with LVM".  FWIW.

"Mike MacIsaac" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>   (845) 433-7061