>>> On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at  8:19 AM, in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Michael
MacIsaac <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
-snip-
> What steps did you take? I found if you leave space on /dev/dasda, then
> click "LVM", that the free space on /dev/dasda would not be available for
> use in a volume group.
-snip-
> A colleague suggested a way to get this accomplished. I have two 3338 cyl
> minidisks that become /dev/dasda and /dev/dasdb. From the "Expert
> Partitioner" window:
> 1) Click "Create" => choose "/dev/dasda" => choose "Format, ext3" =>
> choose your size and "Mount point" (/ for example)
> 2) Click "Create" => choose "/dev/dasda" => choose "Do not format" =>
> enter all blanks for "Mount point" (I see now that the last entry in the
> dropdown menu is "blanks" - aha - the hidden key :)).

This is what I've always done.  If you want to give a partition to LVM, you
have to create it first.

-snip-
> Note the inconsistentcy - I did not have to create a
> /dev/dasdb1 for /dev/dasdb to be available to LVM, but I did have to do
> this extra step for /dev/dasda. I would suggest for the installer to be

If you're not creating a single partition on /dev/dasdb, you're asking for
trouble at some point in the future.  *Every* DASD volume formatted in CDL must
have at least one partition defined for it.  You wouldn't do it on a midrange
system (pipe down Rick, I know you would), and you shouldn't do it here.