> > 2) Click "Create" => choose "/dev/dasda" => choose "Do not format" =>
> > enter all blanks for "Mount point" (I see now that the last entry in
the
> > dropdown menu is "blanks" - aha - the hidden key :)).
> >
> This is what I've always done.  If you want to give a partition to LVM,
you have to create it first.
That is good that you've always done it correctly. I guess I'm not such a
great SLES installer :((

I notice that the SP2 release notes address this issue, but perhaps the
process to create logical volumes via the installer is not as intuitive as
possible?

The current Virtualization Cookbook on linuxvm.org/present recommends that
the "dasdfmt" button be used to create an empty partition for use by LVM
later. That seemed to work quickly on SLES 10 vanilla, suggesting that it
is really doing an "fdasd -a". Now on SLES 10 SP2 that button does seem to
take longer, so I assume it is really doing a "dasdfmt" as the button
suggests. The disks probably do not need to be dasdfmt'd twice, so if you
want to create logical volumes, the correct answer seems to be to use the
"Edit Partition" window and then select "Do not format" and an emtpy mount
point.  I see that now.

But perhaps to make the installer more intuitive the following could be
implemented: after the "Create" button is clicked, the user be presented
with a choice of disks, but rather than just "OK" and "Cancel", the
choices are "Empty partition", "Mounted partition" and "Cancel". Then the
resulting window from "Empty Partition" would not require the user to
select "Do not format" and and empty mount point, but would just require
that partition size - the only parameter that is pertinent.

I know getting developers to recognize usability issues is difficult, so
this is just a suggestion.

"Mike MacIsaac" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>   (845) 433-7061