Quoting Richard Sharpe ([EMAIL PROTECTED]):

>          3.1b     Which one of the following is the correct command to
> store all of the contents of all files in the
>          present working directory (or pwd) into a single new file called
> 'all_in_one'?
>             a    cat * > all_in_one
>             b    cp * all_in_one
>             c    cat * >> all_in_one
>             d    All of the above
>
> C is given as the correct answer, but it seems clearly wrong. If all_in_one
> already exists, then its contents will be appended with the contents of the
> other files.

I assumed that the phrase "new file" meant that it didn't already exist,
in which case either A or C should be acceptable.

If the file does already exist, then a will truncate the existing file
and c won't, and both give an error message.

I'd agree that C shouldn't be the correct answer for this.

James.
--
 "Yield to temptation --             | Consultancy: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  it may not pass your way again"    | http://www.cloud9.co.uk/james

        - Lazarus Long               |              James Fidell