On Wed, Dec 13, 2000 at 03:02:10PM -0500, Andy Angrick wrote:
> Thanks for the suggestions so far from both James and Wolfgang, but let me
> explain in further detail what i'm looking for. The 'thinserver' i'm
> creating doesn't have a monitor or keyboard. It has 2 buttons on the front
> and a small 2x20 lcd screen. If there is a dhcp server available.. that's
> great and i intend to use it. The problem arises when there is no dhcp
> server available on the network. All the configuration for the thinserver is
> done via a webbased interface. The problem is how do you get that first IP
> address configured on the box. Once it has an IP address, then you can
> telnet, use the webbased interface, etc. So.. what i need to do is either
> create an 'setup' mode on the box to somehow manually configure the IP
> address by using the 2 buttons on the front panel or figure out how to set
> the ip address from a remote pc on the network. I'd rather do the later if i
> can figure out how to do it.

There are three traditional approaches:

RARP/BOOTP; look up the /etc/ethers file on your Linux development box.

Hardwire an address, and force the user to set up a machine on that net
with a crossover cable to change it.

*Only if it doesn't already know it's IP address*, have it retrieve it
from a hand ARPed ping on some other machine in the net.  This requires
that there be a hardware reset button that will erase the stored IP
address, or you can get hung.

Was that enough info, or do you need me to expand?

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                                                [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Member of the Technical Staff     Baylink