On Thu, 14 Dec 2000, Michael Renzmann wrote:

> > Then why not assign it an initial private address, the same for all
> > devices?
>
> First: There might be the (slighlty small) chance that this address
> already is in use. Second: see below.

Yes, small. Should be possible to detect the conflict and choose another
address, but it has to be announced somehow to the operator then.

> > Of course the routing entry for the class C net would need to be added
> > to the local interface on Windows, but this should not be a problem.
>
> How do you do this on a normal w32-box (Win95, Win98)?

Similar as arp.

route add ....

And BTW. I am almost sure there exist some small BOOTP servers for
Windows. If not, should not be a big problem writing one able to respond just
with a single IP address.

And, yes, you can receive packets with tcpdump without IP configured. You can
also configure device to use multicast address.

Best regards,
--
Tomek