At 02:21 PM 12/13/00 -0800, John Lombardo wrote:
>How about this:
>
>thinserver:
>User turns it on with button #1 pressed.  Thinserver displays:
>mac=aabbccddeeff ip?
>
>windows box (or Linux):
>User drops to a command prompt and types
>arp -s the.ip.address.chosen aabbccddeeff
>ping the.ip.address.chosen
>
>thinserver:
>Just like James said: the thinserver watches for it's MAC address and sets
>the IP address to the first matching packet (presumably the PING).  Voila,
>your eth is up with the correct IP, so your web based interface now works.
>
>John Lombardo

Just a gentle hint: arp parameters are subtly different between Win95
and WinNT.  I just checked Win98 and the arp /? "help" (geez, and
windows people complain about man!) and it looks the same as WinNT --
probably Win98/ME has the same syntax as WinNT.  Anyway, the same arp
command that works on NT won't work on 95 and vice versa, even though
the parameters look the same.  Oh yeah, they also use dashes '-'
between bytes in the MAC where Real Operating Systems use colons ':'.

WinNT:
C:\tmp>arp /?

Displays and modifies the IP-to-Physical address translation tables used by
address resolution protocol (ARP).

ARP -s inet_addr eth_addr [if_addr]
ARP -d inet_addr [if_addr]
ARP -a [inet_addr] [-N if_addr]

   -a            Displays current ARP entries by interrogating the current
                 protocol data.  If inet_addr is specified, the IP and
Physical
                 addresses for only the specified computer are
displayed.  If
                 more than one network interface uses ARP, entries for
each ARP
                 table are displayed.
   -g            Same as -a.
   inet_addr     Specifies an internet address.
   -N if_addr    Displays the ARP entries for the network interface
specified
                 by if_addr.
   -d            Deletes the host specified by inet_addr.
   -s            Adds the host and associates the Internet address
inet_addr
                 with the Physical address eth_addr.  The Physical
address is
                 given as 6 hexadecimal bytes separated by hyphens. The
entry
                 is permanent.
   eth_addr      Specifies a physical address.
   if_addr       If present, this specifies the Internet address of the
                 interface whose address translation table should be
modified.
                 If not present, the first applicable interface will be
used.

C:\tmp>

Win98 help is word-for-word identical except it puts in a two line example.

[snip]

gvb