If you do this, you should also have a means of forcing the IP address
to the known value (e.g. hold a button on power up for a full factory
reset).  Otherwise, you will have units in the field that (Windows :-)
users will have set to a different IP address and then forgotten what
they set it to.  Finding the IP address back would be a problem in that
case.

Incidentally, my HP LaserJet 4000 NIC works this way (I don't know how
they force the IP back to a default value, I haven't lost the IP
address yet :-).

gvb