In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> you wrote:

> > Ummm...why don't you just enable CONFIG_IP_PNP and CONFIG_IP_PNP_RARP
> > in the "box" and make it get the IP address suing RARP? And when  you
> > are  at  it,  you could enable CONFIG_IP_PNP_BOOTP, too, so you could
> > use a BOOTP / DHCP server as well.
>
> Maybe because this would be a completely other way of configuration than
> he asked for? I think this "ip by arp" configuration is thought to be a

Right, I was recommending a  completely  other  way  -  one  that  is
standardized by several RFC's and for which working software exists.

> way for the first configuration of a (new?) device in a network. And not
> every network has a dhcp or bootp server running for doing this.

Then add one. If necessary then just temporarily by  connecting  your
Linux laptop to the net just for the configuration. And if you cannot
connect it to _that_ net, then just use a crossover cable ond connect
it directly to the target.

I cannot understand where the problem is. If  you  are  living  in  a
world  with  crippled  tools, then just don't use 'em. These problems
have been solved long, long time ago. In a clean way.

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
The use of Microsoft crippleware systems is a sin that  carries  with
it its own punishment.
         -- Tom Christiansen in <6bo3fr$pj8$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>