On Sun, Jul 08, 2007 at 05:18:55PM +0300, Nadav Har'El wrote:

> This idea might just work. With a bit of asterisk wizardry, you can run
> such a support business from your bedroom, or operated by students on their
> free time. Reminds me of Thomas Friedman's story in "The World is Flat",
> about JetBlue. Apparently, JetBlue's whole reservation-by-phone system
> is run by housewives and retirees from Salt Lake City, which answer the
> phones at their own home.

It's not a new idea, I know someone who was a telephone psychic in the
mid 1990's who did the same thing. I'm not even sure there is much
difference between the two jobs.

> My dream is somewhat differet. My dream is that there would be a Linux-
> friendly computer shop, where I could come in, and every computer would
> come (if you want) pre-installed with Linux and they would only sell
> equipment that works with Linux (or your money back guaranteed). The same
> shop could also sell you ISP deals, and the shop will set up the needed
> DHCP/PPPoE/whatever software for you.

I'm sorry but that would IMHO never work. A Linux/FOSS department
in a larger store could as it would add another item to "one
stop shopping".

People simply are not going to come to you for their Linux systems
if they ALSO need to buy Windows systems from someone else.

Honestly, how many people on this list are able to say that
they and all of their immediate family members and all of
the people who work for the same (company/organization)
NEVER use Windows.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel [EMAIL PROTECTED]  N3OWJ/4X1GM
IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838