A Linux shop does exist. A few months ago a couple of guys opened one
in Jerusalem:

http://rootpcs.com

If I understand correctly, in order to set up an small ISP, the
following infrastructure would be needed:

A connection to at least one bigger ISP, and preferably also to IIX.
A server to handle DNS/mail/accounting etc and possibly routing
Optional: a dedicated hardware router
An 'ISP' connection to Bezeq and Hot.

In addition to this you would need the manpower and business side. From
what I have understood, the expensive part of running an ISP is the
support part. In theory a non-profit cooperative with well-educated
(Linux) users should be much cheaper to run, which might perhaps
compensate for the small size, as well as being less complex to manage.

What I look for in an ISP is for them to be invisible. Once a year to
pay them, and other than that to ignore them and for my connection to
'just work'. I am sure that I am not alone with these sentiments.

I invite all those who might be interested in such an idea (even if just
as a customer and not being involved) to send me an off-list 'vote'.

I fail to see why I should pay good money to companies who I have to
fight with to convince them that they are to blame when my connection
falls.

David