On Sun, Jul 08, 2007, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote about "Re: [SUMMARY] Current
status of Israeli ISPs":
> > My dream is somewhat differet. My dream is that there would be a Linux-
> > friendly computer shop, where I could come in, and every computer would
> > come (if you want) pre-installed with Linux and they would only sell
> > equipment that works with Linux (or your money back guaranteed). The same
> > shop could also sell you ISP deals, and the shop will set up the needed
> > DHCP/PPPoE/whatever software for you.

> People simply are not going to come to you for their Linux systems
> if they ALSO need to buy Windows systems from someone else.
> Honestly, how many people on this list are able to say that
> they and all of their immediate family members and all of
> the people who work for the same (company/organization)
> NEVER use Windows.

I didn't say that this would have to be a Linux-only shop, but rather that
it would be a shop that concentrated on hardware that worked properly on
Linux (but obviously also works on Windows). How many times have you walked
into a computer store, looking to buy a mouse, printer, scanner, modem,
soundcard, or camera, and asked the store owner "will this work on Linux"
and got a reply "I have no idea" or even just "no" (this is known as CYA [1])?
It happened to me, with all the above equipment. And I'm sick of it.
It's even worse when you buy an entirely new computer, and need to start
worrying whether each of is 10 components will work on Linux or not.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cover_your_ass

--
Nadav Har'El                        |      Sunday, Jul  8 2007, 22 Tammuz 5767
Phone +972-523-790466, ICQ 13349191 |Cats know what we feel. They don't care,