On Tuesday 05 August 2008, Ori Idan wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 12:38 PM, Shlomi Fish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Hi.

> > TFA?

> > somewhere

> > so

> > > Let's just start with putting the new stuff in. I'll take care of the
> > > redirects.
> >
> > See? That's why I (and most other people I've been talking with) find you
> > impossible to work with.
>
> Sorry I don't see the problem, Shachar as the admin should take care of
> redirects, DNS etc.

Because I need to see the "existing" (i.e: what used to exist on iglu.org.il)
resources in front of my eyes and working, before I can actually import them
to a different location. Otherwise I won't be able to see what I'm doing
properly.

> You will be given control over the content since you will get ssh access to
> the relevant directories and subdirectories.

I have ssh access to the entire server, even now. But I want to be able to put
things on iglu.org.il where they used to exist, so I'll know what I can do
with them.

> As for CMS, when using a CMS many people can collaborate on the contents.
> When using your systems which might be superior over CMS, ONLY you can edit
> the pages, other people have a steep learning curve before they can use it.

Right, but there's a learning curve for everything: for Linux, for MS-Windows,
for PHP, for Firefox, for Perl, etc. People should not fear learning new
things. And most of my tools are easy to learn.

In order to use Joomla, people should learn HTML.

If I were for example to maintain my mailing lists as a few HTML pages on
Joomla, then they:

1. Would contain a lot of duplicate XHTML markup.

2. Would be easy to break.

3. If I want to synchronise them from my copy, then the changes people do
there would be lost the next time I upload my changes, and people would be
mad.

> Remember many people does not know and are not willing to know any markup
> language and source code management such as subversion.

Joomla requires you to learn HTML. There you go.

> I suggest you collaborate with someone that can put a CMS such as Drupal or
> Joomla on iglu.co.il

www.iglu.org.il used to carry PostNuke (which I hate and dislike and would
like to be replaced with something more decent, like Drupal), and MediaWiki
and other custom apps. PostNuke is also a CMS. But I need to be able to put
stuff on www.iglu.org.il so I can see what I'm doing.

> As for the ugly URL's I understand that in Drupal you can control them so
> they are not so ugly.

In Joomla too, but I didn't get to it.

> However, I still don't understand why ugly URL's are such a big issue.

Maybe they're not.

> I do however understand the need to keep old URL's such as iglu.co.il

Yes, so do I.

Regards,

    Shlomi Fish

P.S: And regarding paragraph formatting and proper netiquette see:

http://www.writerswrite.com/journal/dec99/pirillo1.htm

Especailly:

Use blank lines (hard carriage returns) to separate your paragraphs. Steer
clear of tabs, because different e-mail programs can show tab stops
differently onscreen. Use spaces if you need to indent something, but
indenting the first line of each paragraph is largely unnecessary and should
be avoided if possible.