2008/8/6 Shlomi Fish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> > Sorry I don't see the problem, Shachar as the admin should take care of
> > redirects, DNS etc.
>
> Because I need to see the "existing" (i.e: what used to exist on iglu.org.il)
> resources in front of my eyes and working, before I can actually import them
> to a different location. Otherwise I won't be able to see what I'm doing
> properly.

Can't you set it up on your own home desktop for that purpose? Even
absolute URL's can be tricked to point to the right content.
Show me what you CAN'T do that way and I'll try to help you work around it.

> > As for CMS, when using a CMS many people can collaborate on the contents.
> > When using your systems which might be superior over CMS, ONLY you can edit
> > the pages, other people have a steep learning curve before they can use it.
>
> Right, but there's a learning curve for everything: for Linux, for MS-Windows,
> for PHP, for Firefox, for Perl, etc. People should not fear learning new
> things. And most of my tools are easy to learn.

And useless everywhere else, and therefore any minute wasted learning
them is not a good investment. Shachar says there are already 4 other
people working with the existing system so:
1. There are already four other people who can help with the content
once it's there.
2. They are an example that it's possible to actually learn to use the
system on Hamakor, so you should be able to learn them too.

> In order to use Joomla, people should learn HTML.

Whatever it is, there are already four other people who can help with
the content without having to learn anything.

> If I were for example to maintain my mailing lists as a few HTML pages on
> Joomla, then they:

Why should you? Convert the files to whatever format Joomla accepts
once and for all.

> 1. Would contain a lot of duplicate XHTML markup.
>
> 2. Would be easy to break.
>
> 3. If I want to synchronise them from my copy, then the changes people do
> there would be lost the next time I upload my changes, and people would be
> mad.

Why would you re-upload your pages? It should be a one-time pipeline
one-liners and awk/sed/find/shell/perl scripting work.

> > Remember many people does not know and are not willing to know any markup
> > language and source code management such as subversion.
>
> Joomla requires you to learn HTML. There you go.

Four other people already know the web site. There you go.

> > I suggest you collaborate with someone that can put a CMS such as Drupal or
> > Joomla on iglu.co.il
>
> www.iglu.org.il used to carry PostNuke (which I hate and dislike and would
> like to be replaced with something more decent, like Drupal), and MediaWiki
> and other custom apps. PostNuke is also a CMS. But I need to be able to put
> stuff on www.iglu.org.il so I can see what I'm doing.

Again - there must be a way to simulate www.iglu.org.il on your local
computer. Every QA/testing/programmer worth his salt does these sort
of simulations on a daily basis so what's the big deal?

> > As for the ugly URL's I understand that in Drupal you can control them so
> > they are not so ugly.
>
> In Joomla too, but I didn't get to it.
>
> > However, I still don't understand why ugly URL's are such a big issue.
>
> Maybe they're not.

So stop wasting everyone's time on it (I'll tell you the answer - THEY
ARE NOT AN ISSUE) and start converting your content to Joomla.

--Amos