On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 11:36 AM, Amos Shapira <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> 2008/10/29 sara fink <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> > Why not use free hotspots? Orange and cellcom are not so cheap.  In
> Haifa,
> > Jerusalem there are free hotspots. I saw on TV about bzeek. See this link
> > http://www.bzeek.com/ Looks promissing, but I didn't check it.
>
> 1. Would these free hotspots be avaiable outside the major CBD's?
> Would they enable access to the net, for instance, while being on the
> way to friends in some Moshav outside Natanya (so the user can verify
> an address on GMail or check  directions on Google Maps)?

There are wifi on the way. He will have to use kismet or iwlist to scan and
detect free wifi. But he will need to stop his travel in order to connect.

There are some web sites that provide information where wifi free hotspots
can be found per country/city.
http://compnetworking.about.com/od/wireless/tp/wifihotspotfind.htm

> 2. BZeek seems like a way to provide hotspots to others once you have
> some uplink connection - what do I miss here? You still need some way
> to connect to the net. Plus their download requires Windows (blah...).
>

> 3. How much is "not cheap" about Orange/Cellcom? Do they provide
> pre-paid data plans? So far I couldn't find such an offer through
> Orange's or Cellcom's web sites (at least they manage to display
> something on Debian/Firefox).

Orange/cellcom is crap. You share the speed with others. Don't know about
prices, you will have to call them. But I read a technical article about it
~1 month ago. I think it was in globes or the marker about the technology.