From: Timothy K. Ewing <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Partitioning 19 GB Drive
Date: 2 Apr 1999 22:32:17 GMT

Rey Rios wrote:

> I've been trying to install Mandrake (red hat) on a 19 GB Disk.  I first
> created 2 partitions, one of 1.2 GB for Linux and the other one of 128
for
> Swap Space.
>
> For some reason, when I use Druid, it tells me that I have   -7400 MB
free.
> I can see my three partitions, but I can not create the partition for
root
> (/) because it says I have not enough space.  What am I doing wrong?  Can
> someone tell me the steps to do this right?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rey

      Recently I was given a Compaq Armada 7800 laptop which includes a
14.0GB hard drive.  In fact, the specific model of hard drive is IBM
DCYA-214000. I initially ran into the same problem as everyone else with
respect to having access to the entire hard drive.  I did about a week's
worth of investigation and found that information from Partition Magic
documentation along with a posting from Raphael Clifford on 2-14-1999
proved to be an immense

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: Fenton Travers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: problem including math.h header in RedHat 5.1
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 1999 07:04:36 GMT

I am looking in /usr/include/math.h and I don't see the prototypes for
sqrt or sin or cos.  I've got many programs that include math.h and I
don't know what is wrong.  I am using a standard install of RedHat 5.1
just not sure why this math.h doesn't have those things in it.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,linux.admin.isp
Subject: limiting su via time??
Date: 2 Apr 1999 22:10:23 GMT

Is ther a way to limit when a user(s) can use su??? Basicly there too many
damn people at night (1am -4am) screwing up the system. So I want a time
limit on when they can su..

--
It's nice having Multiple Personalities!        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.infinex.com/~gman                    Keeper of       Bay Area

------------------------------

From: Steven Howe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.development
Subject: Re: Installing RedHat 5.2 on a Gateway 2000
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 1999 07:12:03 +0000

> I have a Gateway 2000 (PII/233MHz, 8.3G HDD, 32MB RAM) which I want to
> rid of the Windoze 95 that it came preinstalled with.  It's the standard
> box that came with all the Gateway stuff that they bundle in it - no new
> or changed components.
>
> I want to install RedHat 5.2 on it, but I hear RHL installations frequently
> tend to screw themselves up badly on proprietary systems.  Some of the things
> I've heard are pretty serious         - the BIOS doesn't let LILO get loaded,
> basically thinking it's a         virus!        - various components -
> including the large 8.3G disk - are either         not supported, or if
> supported are not correctly recognized by          Linux correctly.      - X
> doesn't work (locks up/hangs the machine)   - the stupid little wheel mouse
> (isn't it a PS/2 device) driver is        screwed up. I think these
> limitations are pretty severe.  Has anyone out there experienced something
> similar?  Has anyone - anyone at all - installed Linux (specifically RHL) on
> a Gateway 2000 G series machine (I think that's what this one is; I'm not
> sure)?  What were the problems faced?  What are the precautions to take?
>
> Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.
>
> --
> U.V. Ravindra

Issues:
virus:     this is a bios setting; turn off (during the install) the bios scan
for viruses
mouse: I've seen the wheel mouse (the things Bill and Co. invent!) work as a two
button ]
mouse. X windows need to emulate 3 buttons.
drive:    The drive as a single partition could be a problem,  but, you should
have something
that large partitioned anyway.  Redhat 5.2 server mode would eat that big disk
up!

I'd want to use Windows (control panel, system, devices) to probe the settings
of various
items before flushing Windows. Knowing the Soundcard type and setting is nice;
modem
info (which port), Ethernet and Video card type would also be useful.

Other then that, it shouldn't be hard. Hell I've installed Linux on even NCR MCA
boxes.

Good Luck, and keep notes!

Steven Howe

From: Ewan Dunbar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How do I start icewm ????????
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 1999 00:22:05 -0500

On Sat, 3 Apr 1999, Julio De Gregorio wrote:

> Hi!,
>
>         I've installed icewm from RedHat 5.1 Distribution, but I don't
> know how to start it.
>
> When I type icewm from whithn X I get "WM already running, exiting... "

That's because a window manager is already running. So it exits. Pretty
self-explanatory, I think.

> If I run it from a text sesion, I get "icewm: can't open display:
> <none>"

That's because you're not running X.

To change window managers, you have to edit the script that executes when
X starts up. This should be in ~/.xinitrc. It *may* execute the value of a
variable called $WINDOWMANAGER or something like this. In this case, all
you have to do is change that variable (and in your
.whateveryourshellisrc, too). The surest way, though, is to edit the
script so that instead of running fvwm2 or $WINDOWMANAGER or anything, it
runs icewm.
BTW, if this file isn't there, there should be a file with a name to the
effect of system.xinitrc in the /var/X11R6/lib/xinit directory. Copy that
to ~/.xinitrc first.

Ewan Dunbar
Visit Preston Manning: Action Hero at
http://earl.thedunbars.com/pmah/index.html

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leslie Mikesell)
Subject: Re: VMWARE -- why isn't it the rage topic of discussion?
Date: 3 Apr 1999 01:09:30 -0600

In article <chVM2.5244$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Christopher Browne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>I'm quite surprised that VMWARE (www.vmware.com) isn't
>>being discussed much.  I've been waiting years for just
>>such a thing.  I can now run windows98 under linux, and
>>run quicken, office97, solitaire :-), or anything else
>>I want (except directx games...yet), without rebooting.
>
>It's not of great interest because:
>
>a) Many of us don't care to run those applications,
>
>b) The point isn't merely that of having software that appears to
>function; Linux is all about *free* software, and VMWARE hasn't provided
>any magical way of making either VMWARE, Office97, or Quicken into
>nonproprietary software.
>
>Money's not the point here; it's freedom.

Yes, freedom is the point.  No-cost software is great, but having
the choice of whether the value of commercial software is worth
the price is also a part of freedom.  VMWARE gives you the best
of both in the same box.

>VMWARE is providing some proprietary software as a substrate to allow us
>to run further proprietary software atop some free software.  If two
>levels of proprietariness are to be considered OK, then I see no problem
>with extending that to a third and running the software atop Windows 95
>or Windows 98 or NT or whatever.

Of course, although by nature Win95 or 98 wouldn't be great hosts.  The
web site claims NT-hosted VMWARE will be out in about a month.  I suspect
it will be the most popular version since it uses the native drivers
of the host OS and presents emulated IDE and network devices for the
guests.

  Les Mikesell

From: Fenton Travers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.redhat
Subject: Re: Newbie FTP Problem
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 1999 07:18:36 GMT

I have similar set up except with RH 5.1 and I needed to load the ip_masq_ftp
module.  I think the module loader is called insmod and is found in /sbin so I
executed the following:
/sbin/insmod /lib/modules/2.0.35-1/ipv4/ip_masq_ftp.o

you may need some variation on this tho.  I 'm not sure if this is the source of
your problem

From: "SEATTLE" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How do I unlock my modem?
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 1999 16:57:40 -0700

Try this site

http://home.att.net/~aubreyb

Click the linux Link, Scroll down to Modems & Linux site and  to another
link"Linux and Modems. Modems & Linux site lets U ask questions and provides
answers

If you have Win Modem  you will have trouble

HTH

------------------------------

From: "Janko Buzanèiæ" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: X problems
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 1999 09:13:21 +0200

I have AT3D Voodoo Rush card with 3DFx .
My linux dont recognize the card, so i work with Vga16 in 640x480!
Please how to fix the problem.
I found drivers on net for AT3D for linux but i dont know how to install
them!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leslie Mikesell)
Date: 3 Apr 1999 01:21:38 -0600

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Peter Caffin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Jim Hill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Don't get me wrong:  the product sounds fantastic for people who have to
>> run both and don't want to dual-boot...but I don't have any need for it
>> at all.
>
>+---------------------------------+--------------------------------+
>| Option 1: VMWare System         | Option 2: Cheap Method         |
>+---------------------------------+--------------------------------+
>|* Cost of upgrading your PC to a |* Cost of an old monitor-less   |
>|  Pentium II-333 with 128M RAM & |  486DX2 with ISA network card. |
>|  harddisk space.                |* Free download of VNC server & |
>|* Cost of commercial product.    |  client software.              |
>+---------------------------------+--------------------------------+
>
>The only significant advantages that VMWare's method are, IMHO:
> * An improvement in the colour depth over a VNC term.
> * Cut and paste of text.

Your network cards and power consumption will probably end up
costing more than the VMWare, not to mention the clutter of
the extra box and the trouble of juggling the monitor to
set it up.

VMWare also appears to have some real advantages for development and
testing in different environments.  You can run multiple virtual
machines networked to each other and the host, and there is a
disk mode where the updates are actually logged to a separate file
and you don't have to commit them at the end of a session.  If
something goes drastically wrong you can restart with your
original disk contents.  And for even more fun you can run VNC on
the virtual machine and access it's screen fron elsewhere even if
it is minimized on the host screen.

  Les Mikesell

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Danny Aldham)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: What is the best Linux to install?
Date: 2 Apr 1999 22:10:49 GMT

Mike Graham ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: On Thu, 01 Apr 1999 14:27:59 +0900, Yim,SeongSoo wrote:
: >I realy recommend to start with RedHat.

:   I agree with that.  It seems the most 'mainstream'.  I was just on their
: website and it appears that several big players (IBM, COMPAQ, etc.) have
: pumped in some capital to get in on the action.  That's a very telling sign.

And I disagree. I have used RedHat since 2.1 , and Mandrake is better.
Mandrake _is_ RedHat, with the KDE installed. A nice desktop makes the
OS much friendlier to beginners. Get Mandrake if you can.

--
Danny Aldham      Postino Dotcom                     E-mail for Business
www.postino.com   Virtual Servers, Mail Lists, Web Databases, SQL & Perl

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Danny Aldham)
Subject: Re: Writing CGI Scripts in C and Serving with Apache
Date: 2 Apr 1999 22:29:13 GMT

Rita Schiavone ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: It works fine from the command line.  It's only when I use it as a CGI
: program that it stops unexpectedly.

This points to a permissions/ownership problem. The web server typically
runs as user nobody, so make sure that user has access to create files to
the directory and to write to the directory & the files.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Kimoto)
Subject: Re: Painfully slow un-tar
Date: 3 Apr 1999 02:33:13 -0500

In article <7e3v46$k3k$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Steve Johnson wrote:
> Tar works just fine with my own files and some downloaded tarballs, but some
> tar.gz files I download take FOREVER to un-tar...I'm talking like 1 or 2
> files/second on a PII 300 -- ridiculous!  It seems to be related to the
> owner/group where the files came from.  It's strange, but I discovered that if
> I change the owner/group of all of the files after un-tarring them to
> me/mygroup (with something like 'chmod -R <me:mygroup> <tar directory>'), then
> re-tar the whole thing, next time and every time after that it will un-tar
> at normal (i.e. fast) speed.

This is from the FAQ that comes with the glibc-2.1 source:

: 2.28.   Why is extracting files via tar so slow?
:
: {AJ} Extracting of tar archives might be quite slow since tar has to look up
: userid and groupids and doesn't cache negative results.  If you have nis or
: nisplus in your /etc/nsswitch.conf for the passwd and/or group database,
: each file extractions needs a network connection.  There are two possible
: solutions:
:
: - do you really need NIS/NIS+ (some Linux distributions add by default
:   nis/nisplus even if it's not needed)?  If not, just remove the entries.
:
: - if you need NIS/NIS+, use the Name Service Cache Daemon nscd that comes
:  with glibc 2.1.

--
Paul Kimoto             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

From: "Jürgen Exner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 1999 23:29:46 -0800

Julio De Gregorio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Hi!,
>
>         I've installed icewm from RedHat 5.1 Distribution, but I don't
> know how to start it.
>
> When I type icewm from whithn X I get "WM already running, exiting... "
>
> If I run it from a text sesion, I get "icewm: can't open display:
> <none>"

Replace the call of your current window manager in ~/.xinitrc with a call of
icewm.

jue
--
Jürgen Exner

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ned Danieley)
Subject: problem with mkisofs
Date: 2 Apr 1999 22:52:57 GMT

I'm trying to use mkisofs to archive data, but it has a 'feature'
that makes this kind of difficult: it flattens the directory structure.
for instance, if I have a directory foo with subdirs bar1, bar2, bar3
and I say

mkisofs -L -l -T -a -r -p ndd -V FOO -o image1 /foo/bar1 /foo/bar2 /foo/bar3

then when I look at the resulting image, I see all the files from
bar[1-3] at the top-level (instead of just bar1, bar2, bar3). if
bar[1-3] have subdirs, then they are directories at that top level. this
is really pretty annoying, since bar[1-3] might have a *lot* of files in
it. I can't just specify /foo, because there are a lot of other subdirs
in foo that I'm not interested in (and too many to easily use the '-x'
option).

I figured out a hack that will force mkisofs to keep those dirs intact,
but it ends up not generating a TRANS.TBL at the top level, and since I
don't really know what I'm doing, I'm afraid to use it.

is there any way to keep mkisofs from getting rid of the top level
of directories? the foo/bar=../foo/bar thing doesn't seem to help...

this is mkisofs-1.12b4; I'm using it on a Sparc 4 running solaris 7
and with the SCHILY scg and fbk drivers.

--
Ned Danieley ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Experimental Electrophysiology Laboratory

------------------------------

From: Benjamin Sher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Cosmos RH Linux 5.2 -- Boot despair!
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 1999 07:58:56 GMT

Dear friends:

NOTE: It takes me an eternity to download messages with this solid but
old 486 with a 14.4 (!) modem. If you can help, please reply to my email
address below.

This message is addressed to the kind folks of the Linux community, in
general, and to those of you, in particular, who might own the Cosmos
Linux on a Disk (or LOAD) which features Red Hat 5.2. The address for
Cosmos Engineering is:

http://www.cosmoseng.com

I have an NEC Pentium 166, Ready 9712, MMX, 64 RAM, with Linux on a Disk
(LOAD) installed as the master drive and Windows 95B installed on its
own disk as the slave drive and connected by Lilo as a dual-boot
mechanism. At least, that's the way it's supposed to be. (The two drives
were switched as explained below).

Those of you who have seen my posts on several Linux newsgroups,
including this one, know how excited I was (and indeed still am) about
my switch to Linux. Two years of Crashware and endless restorations was
all I could take. After much reading of a general nature about Linux, I
decided to make the switch. I chose Linux on a Disk from Cosmos because
it seemed the ideal way to make the transition. I plan eventually to
turn the Win95 disk into a Linux partition as part of an all-Linux
system.

After several weeks of waiting impatiently, Linux on a Disk finally
arrived last Friday. Being a computer layman (I am a
translator/publisher by profession), I made a serious effort to study
the basics of Linux, a rather difficult feat without hands-on
experience. I hired a PC expert, at my expense, to physically install
LOAD and help me configure Linux as best he could. I also sent Cosmos a
full 38-page hardware diagnosis for the record to help them troubleshoot
my system if need be.

Well, we found out right off that Linux would not boot either from the
Cosmos boot floppy or from the Cosmos Linux on a Disk CD. A very
generous Linux expert (and I have been utterly stunned at the tremendous
support provided by the Linux community to those in need) called me to
suggest changing master and slave drives. So, we now had (and still
have) Linux as the master drive and Win95 as the slave drive. For the
next three days I found myself staring at "LI" blinking at me from a
blank screen.

On Monday we called Cosmos to ask for their help. They were extremely
generous and spent an hour with us on the phone. Bottom line: The
original Cosmos boot floppy was defective, and we now created a new boot
floppy and install floppy. I could now boot from the floppy onto Linux
but not from the HD and in either case never into Windows by way of
Lilo.

I called Cosmos the next day to ask for their help. After all, Linux on
a Disk had failed to do what it was supposed to, namely, to allow me to
boot from the HD using Lilo into either Linux or Windows.

Cosmos refused outright and has continued to refuse both to make their
Linux on a Disk, an otherwise splendid, beautifully designed and
feature-rich product, work (and work properly). They also refused to
allow me to make use of their standard free 30-day email tech support.
Their reasons were entirely personal in nature, having to do with my
frequent telephone calls about Linux, its operation, configuration
problems (before LOAD had even been shipped). This is fully
understandable, and I myself admitted as much in a conciliatory,
repentant letter the following day. Nevertheless, Cosmos categorically
refused and continues to refuse to answer any of my email messages,
which were for the most part concerned with this technical issue. In my
view, Cosmos had allowed personal considerations to get in the way of
their professional conduct and obligation to a client.

The next day the same Linux expert I referred to above suggested adding
the word "linear" to lilo.conf, which I did (it was already there but I
moved it down just prior to the "image" entry), and, bingo, I was able
to boot from the Linux HD. I then kept fine-tuning the lilo.conf in
order to make it load Windows. I managed to get the Lilo boot menu to
show Linux and Windows on the screen. Yet, when actually typing Windows
(with "boot=Windows" and "loading Windows" showing on the top of the
screen), Lilo always booted Linux anyway.

As I mentioned, Cosmos has its own MENU, which includes "automatic" ways
to configure Linux, including a special LOAD Setup for the Cosmos disk.
In it, I found "Reinstall Load". I followed the instructions in order to
make it possible for me to load up Windows from the HD. Instead, after
saving and exiting, I found that not only could I not boot into Windows
from the HD but also could no longer boot into Linux from the HD. Back
to square one. I can boot into Linux using the special boot floppy
created with Cosmos' help on Monday, but that's it. Cosmos has not
finished the job, casting me adrift all alone. This is where I find
myself right now, staring at that blinking LI on the screen, wondering
if I will ever get to enjoy the great power, versatility, functionality
and reliability of Linux.

I have pleaded with Cosmos (by email) to meet their professional
obligation to me. They are a small but high-quality company. Their Linux
on a Disk is fabulous. But it is THEIR product, and it is THEIR
responsiblity to make it work and work properly.

Being cut off from all tech support, I am forced therefore to appeal to
the Linux community for help which should properly be provided by the
manufacturer himself.

I might add that I have received dozens of magnificent responses to my
postings on the Linux newsgroups. I have printed them all out and will
make use of them to help me configure my sound, modem, ADSL, Iomega,
etc. These letters, along with my copy of Red Hat Linux Unleashed, Using
Linux and Running Linux (which I expect to get from Cosmos any day now),
will help me make my way up Linux's famous "steep learning curve."
However, I can do nothing until I can first boot up properly from my HD
to Linux and, temporarily, at least, to Windows, which I must still use
for my work.

My thanks to everyone in the Linux community. You have been great!

Benjamin
--
Benjamin Sher
[EMAIL PROTECTED]