Linux-Misc Digest #716, Volume #27               Wed, 25 Apr 01 19:13:03 EDT

Contents:
  The difference in compiling the RPM versus the Binary form ?? (mike)
  Re: RAID question. ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: How to have an application included in a Linux distribution? (Kevin)
  Re: The difference in compiling the RPM versus the Binary form ??
  Turbo Pascal+Delphi ("Alexander Kränzlein")
  Re: StarOffice & Xfree 4.0.3 (Dave Uhring)
  Re: How to get linux to see printer? (Andy Rounds)
  Re: Turbo Pascal+Delphi (Bob Tennent)
  Re: 1024 limitation ("tvn")
  bad pthreads (or some other error)? (bert buchholz)
  Re: Unusual mount problem ("paranoia")
  Re: Large Hard Drive (Robert Heller)
  SuSE Linux installation failure ("Richard L. Enison")
  Re: How to change between two file edited by vim?? (Bill Unruh)
  Modem test -  ("DMcBee")
  Re: Modem test -
  Re: RAID question. ("Steve Wolfe")
  Re: Problem with reading CD-ROM (Christos)
  Re: restrict/control the amount of bandwidth used by an application (Dean Thompson)
  Re: How to change between two file edited by vim?? (Yvan Loranger)

From: mike <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: The difference in compiling the RPM versus the Binary form ??
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 16:14:20 -0400

Hi,
    I would like to know the pros and cons and differences in compiling
the Linux kernel via using the RPM or the binary.

                                                            Thanks
                                                                    Mike

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.windows98
Subject: Re: RAID question.
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 22:09:32 +0200

In comp.os.linux.misc Lee Allen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Apr 2001 13:45:49 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lee Allen) wrote:

>>On Tue, 24 Apr 2001 18:03:42 +0200, "Peter T. Breuer"
>><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I was referring to the forms of RAID which provide redundancy.  They
> all do so at some cost in performance, relative to using the same
> number of disks in a non-RAID configuration.

> You are referring to the forms of RAID that combine disk drives to
> increase the usable size of a filesystem.  While technically these are
> RAID configurations, they are not what most people mean when they
> discuss RAID, which is 'REDUNDANT Array of Inexpensive/Independent
> Disks'.

> You seem to be intentionally focussing on the atypical RAID
> implementations in order to justify insults.

I don't have to!  A person who takes about a week to find a hair to
split in order to justify himself has done the justification.  Yes, we
know you have been trying to wriggle towards a posture in which you can
pretend to have been talking about raid1 or raid5 - now that you've
found out what they are?  - but I'm afraid that the act convinces me not
at all.  Everyone else is talking about raid0.  It's the raid that one
uses in order to get superior read and write performance. I have it all
over my disks, and that's rsync mirrored to a slower single copy.

Look, If you want superior read performance only, use raid1. Writes
are slower but you get nontrivial redundancy. If you want to speed
up both read and write, use raid1 over raid0 (hic). Raid5 is slower
both on read and write. Raid10 fixes that.

At least the humble pie has toned down your stridency.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kevin)
Subject: Re: How to have an application included in a Linux distribution?
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 20:17:07 GMT

    I'd try to get that app into Redhat's contrib-net and into
    Mandrake's cooker.  I don't know what Debian or SuSE offer
    that's like those repositories.  Maybe you should also
    consider trying to get it into FreeBSD?

    G'luck....

    <rant>
    If your app was another library, then I'm sure it would be
    included in half of the distributions, after all Linux really
    is short on libraries.  %-p

    Seriously tho, why is it that there are lots of good
    applications that aren't well distributed, and others that
    need to be written -- anyone else want a better MIDI music
    sequencer or tax prep software?  It seems like the first
    thing a lot of projects do is to write their own library;
    seems like tons of duplicated effort.

    Enuf sed, I've got to get back to writing my new window
    manager from scratch.
    </rant>

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 20:26:35 GMT

On Wed, 25 Apr 2001 16:14:20 -0400, mike <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hi,
>    I would like to know the pros and cons and differences in compiling
>the Linux kernel via using the RPM or the binary.

pros:
binaries are available sooner than RPM's and give you more control over
where files get installed.

cons:
slower.
you should uninstall old RPM's so you don't end up with two versions in
different directories

------------------------------

From: "Alexander Kränzlein" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Turbo Pascal+Delphi
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 22:34:29 +0200

Hello NG!

I have a little problem with p2c!

I don' t know how i will be able to translate Turbo Pascal code, and I don't
know how to translate Delphi programs, too.

Thanks Alex

------------------------------

From: Dave Uhring <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: StarOffice & Xfree 4.0.3
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 15:44:26 -0500

Mike Everett wrote:

> I've just upgraded to Xfree86 version 4.0.3 (to accomodate a new graphics
> card) and now StarOffice causes the machine to lock-up completely - the
> only solution being a reboot.  The lock-up happens on the first or second
> mouse action after StarOffice starts. No other program seems to give any
> problems.
>
> I'm running RedHat 7.0 with kernel 2.2.17.
>
> Any ideas please ?
> TIA
>
> Mike

I don't see any mouse specific problems mentioned in the patch description,
but you might find a solution by applying patch 109939-02 from Sun.

http://sunsolve.Sun.COM/pub-cgi/show.pl?target=patches/patch-access

Then enter 109939-02 in the Patch Finder.

------------------------------

From: Andy Rounds <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to get linux to see printer?
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 21:54:09 +0100

There's a RedHat 6.1 Gotcha covering this one. Details from www.redhat.com,
but to save you the trouble of going there, add

alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc

to your /etc/conf.modules  file.

Then run /sbin/rmmod lp, and start printtool.

That should do the trick.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Tennent)
Subject: Re: Turbo Pascal+Delphi
Date: 25 Apr 2001 20:39:10 GMT

On Wed, 25 Apr 2001 22:34:29 +0200, Alexander Kränzlein wrote:

 >I don' t know how i will be able to translate Turbo Pascal code, and I don't
 >know how to translate Delphi programs, too.

Use fpc:

  The Free Pascal Compiler is a Turbo Pascal 7.0 and Delphi compatible 32bit
  Pascal Compiler. It comes with fully TP 7.0 compatible run-time library.
  Some extensions are added to the language, like function overloading. Shared
  libraries can be linked. Basic Delphi support is already implemented (classes,
  exceptions,ansistrings,RTTI). This package contains commandline compiler and
  utils. Provided units are the runtime library (RTL), free component library
  (FCL), gtk,ncurses,zlib, mysql,postgres,ibase bindings.

or gpc, which supports much of Borland Pascal:

  GNU Pascal is part of the GNU compiler family, GNU CC or GCC.
  It combines a Pascal front-end with the proven GNU C back-end
  for code generation and optimization.  Unlike utilities such
  as p2c, this is a true compiler, not just a converter.

Bob T.

------------------------------

From: "tvn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 1024 limitation
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 16:43:53 -0400

So should I make the /boot on a small partition hda1 - say around 16 MB ?
and put others on the rest of the disk (which is > 10 gigs, on hda5 ?? )
... would that be OK ?

It must be Disk Druid's limitation because my computer is pretty new - just
bought this year February.

Thanks ,

------------------------------

From: bert buchholz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: bad pthreads (or some other error)?
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 22:59:13 +0200

Hi folks,

is there any way to compile the pthreads (aka linuxthreads) seperately from
glibc? It's because when I try to link a programm against phtreads, it
won't work. lipthreads.a and .so are installed, but when I call
libpthreads.so, he will quit with a segfault-error - so I suppose, either
it's a bad compile or there is another problem. Also when trying to compile
something linked dynamically against pthread, I get a whole lotta errors
like as if the linker didn't even see the libs:

/usr/include/pthread.h:141: `pthread_t' was not declared in this scope
/usr/include/pthread.h:141: `__thread' was not declared in this scope
/usr/include/pthread.h:142: parse error before `*'

and so on... actually, it's not my program, but I don't wanna hack the code
and it worked before already, but when I tried to udgrade to glibc-2.2,
some things just didn't work anymore, so I removed it again, but I'm not
sure if I really got everything cleaned.

They are all installed in the usual dirs, like /lib /usr/lib and
/usr/local/lib so I think no problem really here. I looked through
gnu-archives but couldn't find anything like linuxthreads there and on the
web I only found the old 0.7 version, but I need 0.8 at least.

Any help and hints would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance,

Bert Buchholz

------------------------------

From: "paranoia" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Unusual mount problem
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.misc,linux.redhat.install
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 21:21:10 GMT

to mount a windows drive, first use the file manage and look in /mnt/ for
a windows directory, it probably there. actually in the file system , all
of your drive (zip, cd what ever) are listed in the /mnt directory. if
its not there go to google.com and search for a how to. it not hard, but
i dont recall exactly how to do it
rob

------------------------------

From: Robert Heller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Large Hard Drive
Date: 25 Apr 2001 21:55:55 GMT

  Jeff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  In a message on Wed, 25 Apr 2001 13:24:03 -0500, wrote :

J> Two quick questions:
J>
J> My BIOS (old Award 4.51pg) only recognizes 8.5 gigs of my new 20 gig
J> drive. Will Linux "see" the entire drive anyway?

Yes.  There are some 'gotchas' WRT to booting (see below).

J> What is the best way to partition this? My current partitioning scheme
J> with a 4 gig drive is a swap of 128M and the rest given to /. (yeah, I
J> know--mistake)
J>
J> Since I'm going to re-install new on the 20 gig, what's the
J> recommended partition scheme?

This is what *I* would do:

P#      size    mount point
1       128M    /
2       128M    <swap>
3       2G      /usr
4       (rest of disk) -- extended:
 5      128M    /var
 6      2-4G    /home
 7      rest    /scratch

The BIOS only needs to be able to deal with partition #1 (where /boot
lives).  Linux will deal with the rest once it has booted up.

The sizes of the /home partition and the /scratch partition are pretty
much a matter what you want to do.  I would *suggest* that you limit the
/home partition to what you can backup (size of your backup media).  You
can optionall chop up scratch into /home2, /home3, etc. all sized to
match your backup media.  You *could* make the swap partition larger,
but you probably don't really need to.

If you plan to run a newserver, mail server, or printer server, you
might want to carve out a /var/spool (or /var/spool/news,
/var/spool/mail, and/or /var/spool/lpd of a useful size).  If you will
be using postgresql with a *huge* db, your might want to make a
partition for /var/lib/pgsql, although you can just symlink this to
/home/pgsql (this is what I do).

--
                                     \/
Robert Heller                        ||InterNet:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Richard L. Enison" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SuSE Linux installation failure
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 22:19:15 GMT

I am a Linux newbie.  I am trying to install S.u.S.E. Linux 5.3.  I have
failed.  The server is a rack-mounted Pentium III 600 MHz system with 256 Mb
RAM, an ATAPI CD-ROM drive, SCSI Adaptec AIC-7896 adapter, SCSI Seagate
ST39175LC Ultra-2-LUD 8683 Mb hard drive, ethernet port built into the
motherboard, SVGA port, 2 serial ports, 1 parallel port, 1 PS2 mouse port
and 1 PS2 keyboard port.  Please help me.  My supervisor, Michael L. Dean,
has insisted that I send this memo as is.

Richard L. Enison, Programming Consultant
SourceView Corporation

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Unruh)
Subject: Re: How to change between two file edited by vim??
Date: 25 Apr 2001 22:27:50 GMT

In <9c6v2o$[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jim Cochrane) writes:

]In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
]Nigel Jewell  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
]>hushui wrote:
]>>
]>> useing vim .
]>> How to change between two files??
]>> Since I want to copy and past between those two files .
]>> Thank you .
]>
]>Presuming you opened the files doing:
]>
]>vim filename1 filename2

Much much easier is to just open two versions of vim for each file. Ie
open two command windows and open
vim file1
in one window and
vim file2
in the other. Taht way you can copy and paste between the two windows.
This is one of the advantages of Linux over DOS. Doing two things at
once.

------------------------------

From: "DMcBee" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Modem test -
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 19:02:52 -0400

How do you invoke a dial tone from the modem from the command prompt? In
dos, you'd use echo ath0 > com2 , but what to use in Linux?  ath0 > ttys0 ?

        Thanks-
                Drew M

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: Modem test -
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 22:53:23 GMT

On Wed, 25 Apr 2001 19:02:52 -0400, DMcBee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>How do you invoke a dial tone from the modem from the command prompt? In
>dos, you'd use echo ath0 > com2 , but what to use in Linux?  ath0 > ttys0 ?

run minicom to see responses from the modem when you issue commands
the hayes command to get a dial tone is 'atd'
try 'atm3' in case the speaker is disabled

'ath' is to hangup.

------------------------------

From: "Steve Wolfe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.windows98
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 16:57:50 -0600

> You are referring to the forms of RAID that combine disk drives to
> increase the usable size of a filesystem.  While technically these are
> RAID configurations, they are not what most people mean when they
> discuss RAID, which is 'REDUNDANT Array of Inexpensive/Independent
> Disks'.

   I don't see what you mean.  When someone talks about RAID, I usually take
it to mean that they are referring to any of the "official" RAID levels.  I
don't try to assume that they're choosing a particular level, they're all
RAID, no matter what the acronym stands for.

> I was referring to the forms of RAID which provide redundancy.  They
> all do so at some cost in performance, relative to using the same
> number of disks in a non-RAID configuration.

  The redundancy does have overhead.  But if you're looking for speed, then
you go for speed.   Take 5 drives, put them in a RAID 5 array.  Put 5 drives
in another, equal machine without any form of RAID.  The RAID 5 array will
offer more speed reading any single file.  If you compare it to reading 5
different files from all 5 drives *at once*, it won't quite keep up - but
that's a pedantic situation.  It's not like a database server, web server,
or ftp server is going to split all of the files for a single database
across 5 different disks, trying to guess which files to put on which disks
to try and ensure that it reads as many simultaneously as possible.
  (NOTE:  I'm using "RAID" to mean just that:  "RAID".  One of the
"official" RAID levels.)

> You seem to be intentionally focussing on the atypical RAID
> implementations in order to justify insults.

  No, he's focusing on what people typicall do in real life - they choose a
RAID level based on their needs.  That's why there are different RAID
levels, so that you can choose the one that best suits your situation.  RAID
0, 1, and 5 are certainly "typical" RAID implementations, and while 0+1
isn't quite as common, it's certainly "typical".

   I really get the feeling that you haven't used a good RAID array before.
Use one once, and you'll never want to go back.  Of course, you need to
choose the RAID level that best suits your needs, but that's just common
sense.

steve

------------------------------

From: Christos <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: Problem with reading CD-ROM
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 01:00:25 +0300

% ls -l /dev/cdrom
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            3 Jan  5  1999 /dev/cdrom -> hdb

% ls -l /dev/hdb
brw-------    1 siopis   disk       3,  64 May  5  1998 /dev/hdb

Looks nice to me, no?

Christos

PS  Sorry for delay to reply, was away from home!

------------------------------

From: Dean Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: restrict/control the amount of bandwidth used by an application
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 09:03:23 +1000

Hi David,

> How can I restrict/control the amount of bandwidth used by an
> application?  My problem is that it is difficult to browse the web while
> downloading a file.

You might like to look for a program called "CBQ" which stands for Class Based
Queueing or its older version known as shapecfg.  Both of these applications
allow for rules to be applied to the incoming data stream.  I am not sure
whether they will operate to the level that you want.

See ya

Dean Thompson

| Dean Thompson              | E-mail  - [EMAIL PROTECTED] |
| Bach. Computing (Hons)     | ICQ     - 45191180                         |
| PhD Student                | Office  - <Off-Campus>                     |
| School Comp.Sci & Soft.Eng | Phone   - +61 3 9903 2787 (Gen. Office)    |
| MONASH (Caulfield Campus)  | Fax     - +61 3 9903 1077                  |
| Melbourne, Australia       |                                            |

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Yvan Loranger)
Date: 25 Apr 2001 23:06:28 GMT

"Chris Coyle" ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) writes:
> "Jim Cochrane" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:9c6v2o$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>> Nigel Jewell  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> >
>> >Presuming you opened the files doing:
>> >vim filename1 filename2
>> >do:
>> >:n (for the previous)
>>
>> Actually, :n goes to the next file - e.g., filename2 in the above example.
>>
>> >:p (for the next)
>>
>> This command, from the ex component, simply prints, on the status line,
>> the line the cursor is currently on.  I believe that:
>> :N
>> goes to the previous file.
>>
>> >If you have more than two files, :rew moves you back to the start.
>>
>> Correct. (rewind)
>> You can also do, from within vim:
>> :n file1 file2 ...
>>   or (for example)
>> :n *.c
>> to load a new file list, and then have the same behavior as above.
>
> Besides all that next and previous stuff, when you're in vi
> you can start editing any other file by using the command
> :e otherfile
> and you can go back by using the command
> :e #
> Once you've done that, you can go back and forth between two files
> with the same command.

All seems more complicated than what I do:

:e file1
:e file2
:e file3

then 2^6 [ie. 2 followed by control-6] jumps me to file2, 1^6 to file1.
But I'm using a PC.

--
Merci........Yvan          Pour le plein air: Club Vertige
                               http://www.ncf.ca/vertige