From: Sam Wun <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Switching to BSD
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2000 15:16:10 +1100

==============4C7157534E6608BACCFE4CBC

Do you know when will be kde2.X released?

SAm.

--
.=~~=..=~~=..=~~=..=~~=..=~~=..=~~=..=~~=..=~~=.
      Melbourne IT Internet Names Division

==============4C7157534E6608BACCFE4CBC

Do you know when will be kde2.X released?
&lt;&lt;[EMAIL PROTECTED]>>
you can
to the
Tried
much
\&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; In the MS-DOStrix,
there is no fork().
=====</blockquote>

<pre>--&nbsp;
.=~~=..=~~=..=~~=..=~~=..=~~=..=~~=..=~~=..=~~=.
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Melbourne IT Internet Names Division
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED]
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Tel: (03) 8624
2348&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
.*-*..*-*..*-*..*-*..*-*..*-*..*-*..*-*..*-*..*-*.</pre>
&nbsp;</html>

==============4C7157534E6608BACCFE4CBC==

------------------------------

From: "Ferdinand V. Mendoza" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: linux mandrake 7
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2000 08:16:16 +0400

Be careful.You need to have a free partition first
to do the auto allocation on that free partition.
Someone could correct me here if I'm wrong.
You might destruct your c: that way. Resize if possible.
Personally, i would still depend on Partition Magic 5 until
Mandrake 7's partitioning tool is ripe.

Ferdinand

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Internet Connection Problem
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 21:14:28 -0700

Help,

I'm a Linux newbie.  I installed RedHat 6.1 with the KDE desktop on
the 2nd hard drive. The 1st drive is strictly NT4 on NTFS.  All seems
to be running OK (including dual processor recognition) except that
when I connect to my ISP I can only use programs which are currently
open.  ie.  if I open Netscape before connecting to the ISP everything
is fine.  If I forget to open it first...no response.  The same thing
happens when attempting to use any utility or program.  They must be
opened before dialing the Internet.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

------------------------------

From: Edward M Grill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 23:18:53 -0500

i would use fdisk in MS-DOS mode to remove the extended logical partitions

if i remember correclty, i used Mandrake 6.0 last fall, you need to FREE
space not have free space on your HD.
this happend to me. i had a 8G HD and Win98 installed with the same
situation you are in. wanted a dual boot. messed it up the first time.

anyway, use fdisk in MSDOS mode to get rid of the ext. logical drives. that
FREE space should appear when installing Mandrake. you don't want to install
on C:/ because that is your Win98 drive its recognized as! it should say:
Free Space Amount: 3456Mb or 9324Mb (depending if you remove one or more of
the ext. log. partitions.something to that affect. then use that to install
Linux on.

hope this helps.

eddie

news:j%%u4.2177$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: David Klein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: mvgp and cpgp - two new commands for renaming and copying files
Date: 01 Mar 2000 06:30:27 +0200

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jay Ts) writes:

> Here's something I think (and hope) will be useful to practically everyone
> who uses Linux.
>
> This is the announcement of the first public release of mvgp and cpgp,
> two commands for renaming and copying groups of files using a rule
> specified by a pattern in the files' names to search for, and the
> string with which to replace it.
>
> For example, mvgp can be used to rename all files in a directory that
> end in .htm to end in .html instead.  Or if you find a directory with
> 236 files that have the word "linnix" somewhere in their names, and
> you want to correct the misspellings, you can do it with a single mvgp
> command:
>
> mvgp linnix linux *
>
> To find out more about mvgp and cpgp, and to download the distribution
> archive, go to <http://jayts.cx> and click the "Downloads" link.

I use the below script for this. For example, to perform the two
things you mention I would use:

doswild 'mv' '*.htm' '\1.html'

and

doswild 'mv' '*linnix*' '\1linnux\2'

I also have a version that takes general regexp's as the wildstring,
which would allow you to do things like:

doswild2 'echo' '\(.\)\(.*\)' '\2\1ay'

Which would list the current directory in pig latin

doswild:
========
#!/bin/bash
#set -x
if [ $# -lt 3 ]; then
   echo "Usage: doswild <command> <wildstring> <replacement>
        where <command> is a command to be run, <wildstring> is
        a set of files to run it on and <replacement> is a set of
        target files.

        Example1: doswild mv '*.old' '\1.new'
        would rename all *.old files to *.new"
else
  set -f
  s1=`echo $2 | sed -e 's/\*/\\\(.\*\\\)/g'`
  set +f
  for x in $2; do
    set -f
    $1 $x `echo $x | sed -e 's/'$s1'/'$3'/'`
  done
fi

doswild2:
========
#!/bin/bash
#set -x
if [ $# -lt 3 ]; then
   echo "Usage: doswild2 <command> <wildstring> <replacement>
        where <command> is a command to be run, <wildstring> is
        a set of files to run it on and <replacement> is a set of
        target files. The syntax is as in "sed" and "find -regex".

        Example1: doswild2 mv '\(.*\).old' '\1.new'
        would rename all *.old files to *.new

        Example2: doswild2 echo '\(.\)\(.*\)' '\2\1ay'
        would list the current directory in pig latin"
else
  set -f
  for x in `find . -maxdepth 1 -type f -regex $2 -printf '%f '`; do
    $1 $x `echo $x | sed -e 's/'$2'/'$3'/'`
  done
fi

<snip>
--
Use of tools distinguishes Man from Beast. And UNIX users from WINDOZE lusers.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Steve)
Crossposted-To:
linux.redhat.misc,linux.redhat.install,comp.os.linux.setup,alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: connecting to internet via command line
Date: 1 Mar 2000 04:35:28 GMT

On Wed, 1 Mar 2000 01:00:47 -0000, Max <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>can anyone please tell me how to connect to the internet from command line.
>i used to do it fine using kppp in kde on linx red hat 6.
>my x windows has crashed bad, my floppy drive does not work and i need some
>files urgently.

Use wvdial, you'll have to install it and set it up.

I installed from the RPM, then make sure the modem's linked
to the port with

# ln -s /dev/ttySX /dev/modem
                 ^
X is the serial port number 0-3 (but you know that don't you),

Issue the following command:

# /usr/local/bin/wvdialconf /etc/wvdial.conf

This probes the modem and sets up a basic config file for
wvdial to use.

Next go to /etc and edit the file that you've just created
wvdial.conf, so that the last four lines look like this:

Phone = 01234567
New PPPD
Username = aloginname
Password = nottelling

Phone =  The number to dial into your ISP
New PPPD   don't know why you need this, but it should be there.
Username =  the username you use to login to your ISP
Password =  the password you use to login to your ISP

Save the changes and type wvdial,  then Alt+F2 for another
session, login and you can use ftp or lynx.

To kill the connection and go back to your first session do

# killall wvdial

Hope this helps.

--
Cheers
Steve              email mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

web http://www.ndirect.co.uk/~sjlen/

or  http://start.at/zero-pps

  3:25am  up 3 days, 23:17,  7 users,  load average: 2.13, 2.03, 1.71

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David J. Kanter)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,linux.help,linux.act.newbie
Subject: Re: Aureal vortex2 (8830) sound driver for Linux installation
Date: 1 Mar 2000 04:20:53 GMT

On Mon, 28 Feb 2000 21:12:25 GMT, Vincent DECOUX <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Then I uncompressed, untared, went to the directory, typed "make
>install" (for a 8830 model).
>And ... no sound. The makefile generates one error at the end, but just
>iggnores it. So I guess
>it's a non-fatal error.

Have you compiled sound support into the kernel as a module? I did that,
then installed the driver and everything works fine.

--
David J. Kanter

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Partial CD burning
Date: 29 Feb 2000 20:53:13 -0800

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Kerry Cox  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Howdy, I'm using mkisofs and cdrecord to generate an iso image and then
>burn it onto a CD.  Are there any utilities available for making a
>partial burn and using maybe half the disk and then doing another burn
>which will fill the rest of the CD later.
>It would require leaving the disk open to create a later burn.  This is
>possible under EZ CD Creator for Windows, I am told.
>Just wondering what the status is for such under Linux.
>KJ

        One can make a 'multi-session' CD, add new subdirectories later
to an existing CD, until it fills up.  Check out:
http://www.fokus.gmd.de/nthp/employees/schilling/man/README/README.multi

        There's also 'fixating'.  Cdrecord has a 'nofix' option (which
supposedly does not work on my particular recorder) but I believe that is
for incrementally making audio CDs.

---Remove "UhUh" and "Spam" to get my real email address.

------------------------------

From: "MW" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.windows.x.kde,linux.redhat.install
Subject: Re: system requirements?
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 21:15:43 -0800

Gnome also crawls, haven't tried the other desktop managers. It's an STB
Powergraph with 4MB RAM (PCI).

I have 32MB RAM, it seems this should be plenty for any rational OS/desktop
manager but perhaps this is not the case.  That's why I was looking for the
system requirements. If they are on the KDE site it is very well hidden. Why
not be honest and say that it is a memory hog?  There is quite a bit of disk
thrashing so this may very well be the case.

Anyone have numbers on the memory footprint of various desktop managers?

------------------------------

From: "Lonni J. Friedman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: one moment hda1 has space, the other hda1 full
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 23:48:11 -0500

Jan Schaumann wrote:

> Greetings all,
>
> So just now the following happened:
> I was minding my own business, being happy with hda1 being 70% full.
> Then I start KLyx, it complains that there is no space on /tmp/ and I
> check and who would have guessed, suddenly hda1 is 100% full!
>
> What gives?
>
> I cleaned up tmp and checked all processes and everyhting and still hda1
> was 100% full.
>
> So I reboot, log in and find it to be 99% full, can't belive it check
> again find it to be 86% full etc. until it's finally where it's supposed
> to be (namely 70%).
> anybody has any ideas what's going on?

Sounds rather simple.  /tmp is volitile space.  Obviously you don't have
very much space there to begin with if its going from 70 to 100% that
quickly.  My guess is that you have less than 50MB free.

------------------------------

From: root <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: unsatisfied dependencies
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2000 05:58:21 GMT

Every time I try to install an RPM I get this list of unsatisfied
dependencies
libstdc++-libc6.1-1.so.2
libm.so.6(GLIBC_2.1)
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.1)
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.0)
I am using Caldera 2.2     Kernel 2.2.10

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanx

------------------------------

From: Manuel Alducin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.windows.x.kde,linux.redhat.install
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2000 06:05:13 GMT

32 MB is too little for Gnome, which is resource hungry. It will run
but redraw will be slow. Increasing the swap might help some. 64 MB of
RAM should be more than enough. As far as window managers and the like
are concerened, try something like fvwm2 wich is more lightweight
(there are others but they might be too simplistic for your tastes).

MW wrote:

> Gnome also crawls, haven't tried the other desktop managers. It's an STB
> Powergraph with 4MB RAM (PCI).
>
> I have 32MB RAM, it seems this should be plenty for any rational OS/desktop
> manager but perhaps this is not the case.  That's why I was looking for the
> system requirements. If they are on the KDE site it is very well hidden. Why
> not be honest and say that it is a memory hog?  There is quite a bit of disk
> thrashing so this may very well be the case.
>
> Anyone have numbers on the memory footprint of various desktop managers?
>
> Wolfgang Viechtbauer wrote in message ...
> >> Are the system requirements for running Linux/KDE listed on www.kde.org
> >> anywhere?  I have it installed on a P200MMX and this thing just crawls.
> >
> >A Pentium w/ 200 Mhz should be plenty of speed for KDE. I personally ran
> >KDE on 133's before and the speed was accetable as well. The big question
> >is, how much RAM do you have? If you are low on RAM, then this will impact
> >performance severely (more so than a slow CPU). Have you tried other
> >window managers and found that it is KDE specifically that is slow or are
> >is X-Windows in general crawling? What kind of video card do you have in
> >that machine?

Manuel Alducin