From: "YouDontKnowWho" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Suse 6.1 and ftp - connection refused
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 03:33:43 GMT

I don't understand this.  Does the order in the servcies file really
matter?  Why would the system choose ftp-data over ftp?

I'm having a problem with external (Internet) connections to the FTP
server over a firewall.  My problem sounds similar to yours, but my
external hosts are allowed to login.  They just can't get passed that.

--
And now we return to our regularly scheduled,
uncommonly entertaining thread...

j. land wrote in message ...
>Thanks to all for responses.
>
>Culprit: An rpm had inserted in services.
>ftp-data    20  -  above the ftp    21 line.
>
>All connections in and out were using port 20 to attempt connections.
Each

------------------------------

From: Michel Catudal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RealPlayer G2...
Date: 21 Jun 1999 22:47:09 -0500

Michael Powe wrote:

>     Chuck> I keep reading about RealPlayer G2, and there is no Linux
>     Chuck> version listed on the realplayer site.  Where are people
>     Chuck> getting it?  Also I have read that RealPlayer has problems
>     Chuck> under RedHat 6.0 Is this true, and if so, does this alleged
>     Chuck> G2 version work O.K.  Chuck
>
> ÿôÿýeah, it's there.
>
> http://www.real.com/products/player/downloadrealplayer.html
>
> It doesn't work on my Slackware box, though -- it's libc6.

Time to move to SuSE or RedHat 6.0

It works good on both. I do get an display error when it loads
on SuSE but other than that it works ok. The only problem
I see is that it doesn't have a list of stations like the
one on winblows.

--
use OS/2 for a crash proof work environment
use Linux for safe and quick internet access

------------------------------

From: Michel Catudal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: can't connect to my isp using kppp
Date: 21 Jun 1999 23:11:12 -0500

Fritz Whittington wrote:

> DonJr wrote:
> >
> > Bev wrote:

> > > We could never get it to work under RH either, so we just copied over the
> > > files from our slackware installation.  Here is what the /etc/ppp/pap-secrets
> > > file should look like:
> > >
> > >         # Secrets for authentication using PAP...
> > >         # client        server       secret        IP addresses
> > >         "yourloginname"   *   "yourpassword"
> > >
> > > --
> > > Cheers,
> > > Bev
> > > ====================================================================
> > > "We thought of one of those discount store caskets, but, frankly, we
> > >  were worried about the quality."             -- mortuary commercial
> >
> > Basicaly put "kppp" is not written for the Red Hat Dastro and will not
> > work without major configuration change.
> >
> > The easiest way I've found to setup pppd under RH 5.2 or RH 6.0 is:
> >   # linuxconf   { either under X or text mode take you pick}
> >      - Networking
> >        - Client tasks
> >           Select PPP/SLIP/PLIP
> >             Click the ADD button
> >              Make sure PPP is selected
> >               Click the Accept button
> >                 Fill in the following fields
> >                   Phone Number
> >                   Modem Port
> >                   Click the use PAP check button
> >                   Login Name
> >                   Password
> >               Click the Customize button
> >                 Select Allow any user (de)activate the interface
> >            Click the Accept button
> >          Click the quit button on the PPP/SLIP/PLIP page
> >          Select Name server specification (DNS)
> >            Fill in the Name Server Information asked by this page.
> >          Click the Accept button
> >       Click the Quit button
> >       Press enter on the next screen to apply the updates.
> >
> > Now at the command prompt
> >   $ /sbin/ifup ppp0        will bring up the connection
> >   $ /sbin/ifdown ppp0      will bring down the connection
> >
> > Under X simplily load the program "usernet" is a simple to use one to
> > get you started, though there are other choices out there.
> >
> > RedHat 5.2 and 6.0 versions of the Linux Dastro's are simple enough,
> > even a MicroS*t user should be able to set it up.
> >  It's a whole lot simpler then MS-Widows to install and setup.
> >
> > --
> >  -----------------------
> >   Don E. Groves, Jr.
> >   my Email is jetnick AT erols DOT com
> >
> >   I'll add a witty saying here later.
> >   Such as:
> >    Give a man a fish and he will eat now.
> >    Teach him to fish and he will ........
> >     ... drink beer by to pond all day with his new friends.
> >
> > ----------------
>
> Fine, then.   What do you do if you need to use CHAP, since it
> doesn't seem to offer that option?
>
> --
> Fritz

Just use control-panel, it always works

From: Julio De Gregorio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RH6 Font Server problem at startup...
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 00:50:32 -0300

Hello!,

    I've been using RH6.0 for about 2 months. I installed it so taht it
starts directly into xwindows (gdm).
   Worked fine all the time. Now It starts up quiet well, and when it
trys to get into graphics mode there is a problem and goes back to text
mode, it retrys about 10 times. after that presing CTRL+ALT+F1 I get to
the (text)console and I can login.
There is a mesage that repeats 10 times wich says :
" Acording to /var/???/gdm.pid gdm is already running but aparetly it
has been murdered mysteriously.
INIT: 'x' respawinng too fast. postposed for 5 minutes."

After doing some research I found in the xwindows logs that the problem
is that it cant open the font path for -unix:...  .
That was the socket for the Font server...
In fact xfs was not running even when it reported [ OK ] at startup.

If I just run it at the prompt and wait the 5 minutes, gdm starts OK.

So, why is xfs not starting?
How do I make xfs to startup automatically again?
I know it has to be with the init.rc, but I don't know what to do... :(

Thanks!

-= Julio De Gregorio =-

------------------------------

From: ZioBudda <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: kill not kill
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 15:00:24 +0200

Hi, I'm making a new php3-admin program. In a module of this program I
must to exec some root's program like kill or addpassword. Now my problem
is: kill not kill the proces.
I have copied /bin/kill to /myhome/padmin/kill; I have set to +s
//myhome/padmin/kill but when I exec it (kill -9 pid) it return me that It
can not to kill process. I have tried it like root user with the same
result. Why this?

Non pensate al futuro ... usate il gerundio!!!
--
Michel <ZioBudda> Morelli                 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                                        http://ziobudda.enter.it

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (brian moore)
Subject: Re: MP3's
Date: 21 Jun 1999 17:19:50 GMT

On Mon, 21 Jun 1999 16:06:30 +0100,
 Matthew Willcock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Can anyone recommend a good MP3 player?  Or the best one from personal
> > experience? Currently use WinAmp for my Windoze box. Thanx in advance.
>
> Try xmms at www.xmms.org, it has a user interface _very_ similar to
> winamp, and can even use winamp skins.

I like gqmpeg better though. :)

It's got a MUCH more flexible skin format (see their web page -- 'paper'
made me an addict: handwritten track names, buttons, etc, on torn sheet
of graph paper).

--
Brian Moore                       | "The Zen nature of a spammer resembles
      Sysadmin, C/Perl Hacker     |  a cockroach, except that the cockroach

------------------------------

From: Michel Catudal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Converting Netscape mail from Win to Linux?
Date: 21 Jun 1999 22:58:09 -0500

Greg Coit wrote:

> I'm slowly migrating from WinNT to Linux for my workstation.  I can move
>
> over my bookmarks very easily, but mail seems to be another story.  Any
> hints, suggestions, etc for moving stored mail folders and files from
> Netscape 4.6 for Win to Netscape 4.6 for Linux?
>
> PS I've done a search of newsgroups and Netscape's web site, and this
> question doesn't seem to have come up before (which I find hard to
> believe), but when I renamed the mail files and tried to open Netscape
> mail, it crashed, so I'm assuming some thing within the files has to be
> changed.

cp /winNT/netscape/inbox ~/nsmail/Inbox1
or something of the sort. All you have to do is copy the
mail file(s) to the netscape mail directory. You'll have another
Inbox file.

I got 8 of those so far.
You could also share the Inbox files by putting the file on
a vfat partition that both NT and Linux can play with.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Steve Lamb)
Crossposted-To: linux.debian.user
Subject: Re: Debian advocates
Date: 22 Jun 1999 04:51:41 GMT

On 22 Jun 1999 03:47:54 GMT, John Girash <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>We're talking apples and oranges here.

    We are, but not in the way you're thinking.

>You're thinking about this from the developer's point of view, where the
>testing-cycle "freeze" comes before official release, at which point you
>think of the product as "mature".

    In a commercial environment, yes.

>I'm talking from the user/admin point of view, where a distro doesn't even
>exist until it's officially released, and at that moment it's a brand-new
>baby.  Even if it had a months-long freeze *internal* to the Debian
>project, there's no guarantee that all bugs have been shaken out & squashed.
>(Mmm, squash.)

    But the development and freeze is not internal to Debian.  This isn't like
Red Hat or Slackware where the product pops out with a new version.  You want
to install and run potato?

ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/dists/potato/

    There it is, as it is being developed and where it will reside through the
three stages of a Debian "distribution."  Unstable/frozen/stable.

>For non-developers the freeze cycle comes after official release, and
>the new product is either put on a test platform separate from the
>production box or they just wait for others to field-test it for them.
>This doesn't show a lack of trust in Debian's testing, it's just prudent.

    No, this shows a misunderstanding of the development cycle of Debian.  The
apples and oranges you were talking about was the traditional development
versus the bazaar development.

    When Debian comes out of frozen into stable the number of show stopper
bugs must be 0.  The number of bugs of a certain level must be below a certain
number.  Most of the revisions that Debian undergos, from my experience, are
security in nature that are found after the distribution was released.

    Frozen for Debian is when a LOT of people do jump onto it before it is
pushed to stable.  Frozen *IS* that time frame that shops like Red Hat and
Microsoft would have just after the release where people far and wide hammer
it.  What they would consider the first incremental upgrade to fix the most
predominant bugs is what stable comes out to be.

    That is because, as I said, you can run the development *now*.

>Like I said, potato doesn't *exist* in this context.  Only slink and hamm do.

    Yes, Potato exists, right now.

>I'll install self-compiled potato packages if Debian says it's the only way to
>close a hole or two, but that's far different from going whole-hog unstable.)
>(Mmm, potato.)

    Not that there is anything wrong with riding the unstable tree.  In the
year+ I've ridden it only two show stoppers came up.  That is why it is
unstable and both were fixed within hours.

===============================+=============================================

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jim Richardson)
Crossposted-To: comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: NT the best web platform?
Date: 22 Jun 1999 04:10:18 GMT

On Mon, 21 Jun 1999 21:06:15 GMT,
 Terry Carmen, in the persona of <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
 brought forth the following words...:

>On Sat, 19 Jun 1999 03:21:59 -0300, "Scott MacDonald"
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>> (But NT was 2.7x faster.  I fail to see this being a *complete*
>>> explanation by any means.  More likely it was the misconfiguration
>>> of /etc/inetd.conf, would be my guess, choking the Linux box
>>> with unused httpd daemons trying to figure things out....)
>>
>>A My Cdrom can read 24X on the inner section of the disk and 12X on the
>>outer.  I don't see how hard drives wouldn't be the same.  2.7X faster could
>>be created by this fact.  I don't belive this was the only factor though.
>
>Are you sure this isn't backwards?
>
>For any given rotational speed, more data/second passes under the head
>at the outer edge than the inner.
>
>Terry

You are assuming that
a) Rotational speed is constant
b) Bits per inch is constant across the whole platter

are these true for cdroms? (I haven't a clue personally)

--
Jim Richardson
        www.eskimo.com/~warlock

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (M. David Allen)
Crossposted-To:
alt.unix,alt.unix.geeks,alt.unix.wizards,alt.unix.wizards.free,ca.unix,comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: UNIX / LINUX Compatibility
Date: 22 Jun 1999 03:13:35 GMT

        [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Brian M. Begg) writes:
> June 21, 1999
>
> Hello:
>
> I have purchased LINUX 6.0  o.s.  and I
> was curious:  if I upload LINUX-compiled
> applications  (CGI's)  and my web-host server
> runs on UNIX,  will these CGI's run?  i.e.,
> is there compatibility with LINUX 6.0 and
> UNIX?
>
> Any help would help.  E-mail me if u wish.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Brian Begg ---> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Just giving that you run UNIX, don't bet on it.

It is EXTREMELY unlikely that the binaries will run under linux, but hell,
it never hurts to try.  You also didn't mention for example if you were
running a ppc box with AIX and now on intel linux, and so on.  The
architecture, library versions, and OS all matter as to whether or not the
binaries would run.

My guess is that no, they won't run.  Now if you have perl scripts as your
CGI that you're talking about, that's a different story...it usually doesn't
require MUCH tweaking going between unicies with perl as long as your support
files are in reasonably similar places.

--
David Allen
http://opop.nols.com/

------------------------------

From: Eric George <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: Run in background
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 22:31:08 -0500

vineet wrote:

> How do I make my C program to run in background after getting initialised.
> I mean that the program should detach from the terminal and should run in
> background like a daemon.
>
> Thanks
>
> Vineet

Try following you executable with an '&'

It will give you the pid and then the command prompt again and you
application will be left running in the background.  Do a man on nohup
as well for more options.  nohup will let you log out with your app
still running.
Eric

------------------------------

From: Hunkyu Chung <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: A color mode change when execute another shell.
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 13:42:26 +0900

I did the following command in C shell, it's my default log-in sheel.
%exec bash
After the shell changed bash status, the color of foreground text
chanage very dark bule: Too dark to show filenames and directories.

I'm a general user. Can I change the console mode?

Blue Skies,
Hun

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 23:02:37 -0700
From: Kyle Dansie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Redhat 6.0 and USB mouse

Yanhong Li wrote:

> Hi -
>
> I am trying to install Redhat 6.0 on a new machine - Acer Aspire 6150,
> it has a USB mouse, which linux does not recognize.
> Questions:
> 1. Where can I find the patch for this (redhat 6.0 is linux 2.2.5)?
> 2. How can I install the patch to my system?
>
> Thanks

The linux USB code is under development at this time. You may want to go
buy a ps2 or serial mouse for a time. You can read about the usb code at
http://www.linux-usb.org/

Later,
Kyle Dansie
Linux Rules     Iomega Zip Drive Mini - HOWTO
-
http://njtcom.com/dansie/zip-drive.html
                    or
http://metalab.unc.edu/mdw/HOWTO/mini/ZIP-Drive.html

From: jik- <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Children's Software
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 22:06:42 -0700

Robert Heller wrote:
[passing to colm as well because I wanted to spark conversation hope you
don't mind]

>   jik- <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   In a message on Sun, 20 Jun 1999 14:28:37 -0700, wrote :
>
> j> Is there any kind of children's software for linux?  I think a secure
> j> system like linux offers is best strategy for allowing children access
> j> to the computer.
>
> No, there is presently no children's software for Linux.  And yes, it
> would be a great platform for children -- Linux can be made very
> 'secure' -- rather then the somewhat simple-minded hacks like Kid Desk
> or Net Nanny type programs, various sorts of kid-proofing is possible
> under Linux.  Since Linux has real user-level protections it is possible
> to give kids *real* tools, with proper safeguards.

That and a simple mouse click can whipe out your HD in win95 which is
not ok in the hands of a 2-4 year old.  Linux on the other hand is much
less prone to this kind of disaster.

> j>
> j> If there is none, I would be willing to help develop some stuff, but I
> j> am by no means some child expert....it would be hard for me to design
> j> with children in mind so I would need help.  But I figured some basic
> j> math and language type programs would be neat...maybe a little child
> j> science as well.  Course optimally it would be language independant, but
> j> I only know English.  Hey, maybe some cultural education would be good
> j> too.
>
> The only really tricky part is in terms of the graphics and the sounds
> -- the multi-media end of things.  Otherwise, things are pretty straight
> forward.  When I visit my sister, I have been using my *Linux* laptop
> with ucblogo installed to teach my niece some basic ideas about computer
> programming (she is 7 now and will be 8 in August).

Well that, and children's software is an art, requiring a certain amount
of insight into how the absorb and retain information.  Take this
question for instance "Uncle, why is there wind?"  What do I say to
that?  "Because air under high pressure is trying to get to areas were
there is less pressure."  I don't think she really learned much from
that but its the truth as I know it in as simple a form as I am able to
give (being also about as much I know as well)

I have a neice and nephew, but I do not know how best to teach them
things I am sure they would be interested in....or how to design an
interface which would be easiest for them to use...I know were existing
ones fail is about it.

> RedHat has gone down to Mexico and installed Linux on older model
> computers (read: low cost) in the schools there -- just a base install
> with Netscape, I guess with a server with Apache set up as a proxy
> server, giving the kids web access.

All nice...but thats for older.  I am talking the little guys...still
like barney and Mr Rodgers etc......they don't gain much from that kind
of deal I don't think.  Course I would like to also see programs
targeting 7-10 and pre-teen.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Steve Lamb)
Subject: Re: vi question
Date: 22 Jun 1999 04:54:33 GMT

On 21 Jun 1999 12:58:15 -0700, Tom Christiansen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In comp.os.linux.misc,
>    Nick Taylor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>:How do I change the default tab size to 4?
>
>Never *ever* do that.  You want to change shiftwidth to 4 instead.

    Why not?  It is the only thing that makes other people's code readable.

===============================+=============================================

------------------------------

From: Jacob Ratkiewicz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.caldera,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: making linux go away
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 23:51:50 -0500

Actually, last time I removed Linux (not for good,
just because I like to upgrade clean.. Linux Rules),
I wasn't able to delete the Linux partition using
Fdisk on Win95B. I had to use the Linux fdisk to
trash all the linux partitions, before I could
use the Windoze fdisk to rewrite the drive.

                                regards,
                                        Jacob.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Przem Kowalczyk)
Subject: Re: Login with Telnet on a Linux Server
Date: 21 Jun 1999 21:29:23 GMT

Joao Pinto in comp.os.linux.misc wrote:
>Hi!!
>

>I have a PC with Telnet connect to a  Linux Server (RedHat).
>
>I can have connection and Login came, but I can't  logon even with
>root ......
>
>Tel me that password is invalid, but IS WRONG ........

 It's  for  security reasons. The best solution is to install ssh daemon on
 that server. The easiest (and the least secure) is to add virtual ttys  to
 /etc/securetty. If you've got glibc>=2.1 and pts compiled into kernel it's
 0, 1... aso. If not it's ttyp0, ttyp1... aso.

Przem

--
imagination
come alive

------------------------------

From: Jacob Ratkiewicz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: running ppp as non-root
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 00:09:37 -0500

scable wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> Can anybody out there tell me how to make a ppp interface available to
> non-root users in RH6.0?
> The Red Hat FAQ page on this question was not very helpful.  Thanks.

Not sure about 6.0, but in 5.2 you can check "allow any user to
(de)activate interface" in the netcfg interface properties. Then the
users can use UserNet (Programs->Networking->Usernet, or 'usernet' at the
prompt) to activate and deactivate the interface(s). All the sudo
stuff seems unnecessary.

                                        hope this helps.
                                                Jacob.