From: "Paul E. Bell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.amiga.misc
Subject: Re: Amiga, QNX, Linux and Revolution
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 1999 23:41:16 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> In comp.os.qnx K. C. Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Aram Iskenderian wrote:
> >>
> >> Sorry this is incorrect, you have to enable active desktop, and it
> >> works.
>
> > Nope.  I have Win 95 OSR2 WITHOUT IE4 or 5. The left-shift RMB still
> > works on my setup.
>
> > Why the heck that this is not the default thing ???
>
> >> Aram Iskenderian.
>
> > K. C. Lee
>
> I realize this is probably a total waste of bandwidth, but can any of
> you explain what the above has to do with Linux, QNX, or Amiga?  This
> conversation is very far off track.
>
>                 mph

Good point, the original sub-thread was a lament as to a lack of
flexibility in association of files with programs, on whatever system
you talk about.  There should be a better way, such as what I suggested,
which was to have multiple programs associated with a file type, and
file types being determined by content as well as extension.  As I
stated, on my A2000 running AmigaDOS 3.1 with BrowserII and the
WhatIs.library and FileTypes, I could define different file types with
the same extension, based on contents.  I still couldn't associate that
with more than one program for opening, but at least it worked better
than the Win9x file associations.

Incidentally, it would be great if something like this could be included
in the new OS/OE, but, at this point, I don't know that sending anything
to Amiga Inc. would do any good.
--
Paul E. Bell    Email and AIM: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
ifMUD: Helios | IRC: PKodon, DrWho4, and Helios
                      )

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: General Rant from a Linux Newbie
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 1999 04:43:48 GMT

K. Bjarnason <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] says...

>> Repeat after me:
>> Linux is not windows.  Linux is not Windows.  Linux is not Windows.

>Silly me; I thought Linux was being touted (by the hypsters, at least)
>as the Windows Killer - the latest and greatest desktop OS for the
>masses, the one that'll wipe MS out (or at least give them some
>competition).

Repeat after me: A CD is not a vinyl record. A CD is not a vinyl record.
A CD is not a vinyl record.

Repeat after me: A car is not a horse drawn carriage. A car is not a horse drawn
carriage. A car is not a horse drawn carriage.

Repeat after me: An electric fridge is not a box that holds huge slabs
of ice.  An electric fridge is not a box that holds huge slabs of
ice. An electric fridge is not a box that holds huge slabs of ice.

Repeat after me: Linux is not Windows. Linux is not Windows. Linux is not
Windows.

>Nice to know the hypesters are just that - full of hype.

How do you get from "A is not B" to "any suggestion of A providing
competition to B or of A possibly replacing B in the marketplace in the
long run is hype"?

By your logic, it seems that the IMSAI should still reign supreme, as
should MS-DOS. After all, Windows is not DOS. So any suggestion that
Windows would replace DOS must be complete and utter hype.

Bernie

--
There never was a good war, or a bad peace
Benjamin Franklin

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Timothy J. Lee)
Crossposted-To: comp.windows.x.kde,alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: One must-have program for a newbie
Date: 9 Sep 1999 04:46:55 GMT

"dkmallick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
|I am a Linux newbie, although I have been tinkering with it for a while.
|
|I think that one software that have saved me a lot of time and agony
|is Powerquest's Drive Image. It lets you make a snapshot of the drive, so
|that if the system crashes, it is easy to restore from the image file.

Would dump or dd do what you need?

dump is a backup program that dumps by filesystem.

dd can clone an entire disk onto another disk.

Timothy J. Lee                                                   timlee@
Unsolicited bulk or commercial email is not welcome.             netcom.com

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Cameron L. Spitzer)
Subject: Re: What to do when you've been hacked
Date: 9 Sep 1999 04:38:43 GMT

In article <G8DB3.591$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Rod Smith wrote:
>[Posted and mailed]
>
>In article <t8tB3.4$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>       "William T. Trotter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>> Help needed.  My Linux box (RedHat 6.0) was hacked
>> over the labor day weekend.
>
>Others have offered good advice.  I'll add, though, that you really should
>try to track down just HOW the cracker got into your system,

I'll bet it was that damned wu-ftpd-2.4.2.
Big fat back door in RH 6.0 and many others.
See
http://www.cert.org/advisories/CA-99-03-FTP-Buffer-Overflows.html

>and take
>steps to prevent that from occurring again in the future.

Replace your ftpd with 2.5.0 from ftp://ftp.wu-ftpd.org/.

Cameron

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Unruh)
Subject: Re: PPP problems in RH 5.1
Date: 9 Sep 1999 04:55:49 GMT

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Todd Hall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

]I'm running Red Hat 5.1 and PPP was working fine until a few weeks ago
]and now it's stopped. Not sure whether it's something I've done or my
]ISP. Anyway, here's the log file. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

]Sep  8 19:50:46 localhost pppd[397]: Using interface ppp0
]Sep  8 19:50:46 localhost pppd[397]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/modem
]Sep  8 19:50:46 localhost pppd[397]: sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1 <asyncmap
]0x20a0000>
]Sep  8 19:51:13 localhost last message repeated 9 times
]Sep  8 19:51:16 localhost pppd[397]: LCP: timeout sending
]Config-Requests
]Sep  8 19:51:16 localhost pppd[397]: Connection terminated.
]Sep  8 19:51:16 localhost pppd[397]: Receive serial link is not 8-bit
]clean:
]Sep  8 19:51:16 localhost pppd[397]: Problem: all had bit 7 set to 0
]Sep  8 19:51:16 localhost pppd[397]: Hangup (SIGHUP)
]Sep  8 19:51:16 localhost pppd[397]: Exit.

My guess is that they have stopped allowing login authentication and
started using pap or chap.
See
axion.physics.ubc.ca/ppp-linux.html
for step by step to see what they do want.

Also, you do not want asyncmap 0x20a0000. You probably do not want the
asyncmap option at all, or perhaps the 0xa0000 but what you have should
probably be
0x200a0000 (See Kite's comment on this in a posting earlier today)

@

------------------------------

From: "Paul E. Bell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.qnx,comp.sys.amiga.misc
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 1999 23:29:38 -0500

Guy Macon wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul E. Bell)
>wrote:
>
> >I have also gotten fed up with Windows' "help" system.  Everything I
> >have looked up in it has either been missing, or had just the briefest
> >of answers which does not relate to the information I am looking for.  I
> >have only gotten one, barely useable answer from Windows' Help.  Such is
> >the life of a Microsoft slave.  Oh may I be freed by the AmigaNG.
>
> You will be "happy" to know that Microsoft has figured out how to make
> the awful Windows help system ... *Even Worse*!!!  MS Office now has
> these cute little animated paper clips.. they are TERRIBLE!.  And they
> are coming to a Windows 2000 system near you soon.

Well, unless I change jobs, or Microsoft does another turnaround and
decides that Windows 2000 really _is_ their consumer OS, I doubt I will
have to worry about it.  It does make me feel sorry for those NT users
who upgrade to Win2k.  I would definitely go with Linux before ever
considering Win2k.
--
                      )

------------------------------

From: "Jeroen Willems" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: NFS Daemon Failed to load:  nfssvc not Implemented
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 1999 07:08:11 +0200

William B. Cattell wrote:
>root wrote:

Hi William, I hope you aren't surfing as root........ Crackers heaven.....

Regards,

jEroen

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter Samuelson)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: acurate timing
Date: 9 Sep 1999 00:38:57 -0500

[Steve D. Perkins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>]
> I hate to sound ignornant, but is that REALLY a technical term?!?  I
> had always thought that a "jiffy" was just slang for a very quick
> period of time....

I don't know what you consider a "technical term", but in the Linux
kernel there is a global variable, something like

  volatile unsigned long jiffies;

This variable holds the number of timer ticks since boot, where the
system timer has been set to 100 Hz (except on an Alpha, where for
various reasons they use 1024 Hz).  Thus when discussing the Linux
kernel and its interfaces, the term "jiffy" has been adopted to refer
to a length of time equal to one timer tick, or (on most platforms) 10
milliseconds.

--
Peter Samuelson
<sampo.creighton.edu!psamuels>

------------------------------

From: "Paul E. Bell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.qnx,comp.sys.amiga.misc
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 1999 23:56:48 -0500

"Jeffrey C. Dege" wrote:

> On Wed, 08 Sep 1999 23:10:20 GMT, Aram Iskenderian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >On Wed, 08 Sep 1999 21:17:46 GMT,
> >In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jeffrey C. Dege) wrote:

> >Sorry this is incorrect, you have to enable active desktop, and it
> >works.
>
> Nobody but an idiot enables active desktop.

Thanks, I needed to be called an idiot.

I enabled active desktop for two reasons:

1) I downloaded the pictures (800x600) from the qnx.com/amiga site, and
wanted to use one as a background on my Wintel machine.  For some
reason, it took the last six pixels on the right edge, and put them on
the left edge (for every line of the screen).  The only way I could get
it to line up right was to make a basic HTML with the picture as the
background and nothing else in it.

2) Now that that works, I am considering writing some test pages and
using them as my desktop, just for the learning experience.

Now, why would you say that those who enable active desktop are idiots?
I think using HTML, JavaScript, and Java to define your desktop/webtop
is much more configurable than all the interfaces using "skins" and
such.  With this capability, one could configure his interface to
completely suit his personality, needs, or work habits.

Only idiots are quick to call others idiots.  That doesn't preclude that
some people who buy computers are idiots, every computer has at least
one idiot as an operator, user, or administrator.
--
                      )

------------------------------

From: K. Bjarnason <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 1999 22:57:49 -0700

[snips]

In article <46r1r7.nt1.ln@localhost>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
> On Mon, 6 Sep 1999 14:16:04 -0700, K. Bjarnason <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:
> >[snips]
> >

> Obviously you haven't installed "My Solar System" on a Win 98 machine. This
> POS overwrote every *.dll it could find and effectively rendered an otherwise
> stable system into a veggie.

Never even heard of it.

> You also haven't dealt with the Direct-X, Active-X or whatever the hell
> it is called today problems as they relate to multimedia.

Probelms?  To date, I can't recall having had any, actually.

> Certain versions work with certain programs and all will happily
> overwrite other versions even if they are later versions.

Never seen this problem.  Not on the four machines I regularly run.

> While Windows applications install easily with one click and
> maybe a question or two, the real fun begins later down
> the line when other programs that used to work no longer function.

Can't say I've ever had that problem, either.

> Brian Livingston (Windows Secrets author) wrote several articles
> on this very topic and his research uncovered the theory that
> many of Windows unstable behavior traits could be traced in fact
> to *.dll hell.

Oh, undoubtedly; the DLL mechanism, while in itself a reasonably good
thing, does open itself to some potential problems when applied by
amateurs who can't be bothered to follow proper implementation
principles.  Then again, I can't recall having had this problem, either.

> Linux applications generally install easily and using xrpm it's really
> a no brainer. Even compiling amounts to ./configure, make, make install
> which is quite easy. The only difficulty I have encountered is some
> of the cryptic "library missing" messages I have seen once in a while.
> Sometimes they are easy to decipher and other times not, but a quick
> question in a newsgroup usually gets the answer real fast.
> As my education improves my pilot error will decrease.

Newsgroups?  Whatever for?  If an install has failed, call the vendor
back, demand a working version.  If he can't provide it, post the fact
that he's an incompetent to those newsgroups.  Why you should have to
fix *his* problems, I don't know.

> I much prefer this to Installshield overwriting everything in sight.
> At least it protects me from my ignorant, but willing to learn, self :)

InstallShield, actually, is very good about _not_ writing over anything
critical, at least not with older versions.  Of course, you have to
enable core component handling, but then again, developers _are_
expected to read the docs.

------------------------------

From: K. Bjarnason <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 1999 23:00:49 -0700

In article <7r40rs$6pg$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   K. Bjarnason <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> -- snip --
>
> > Most folks want . . . to be able to install, run, and if necessary
> > uninstall their tools - word processors, spreadsheets, whatver -
> > without *having* to know how the system works.
>
> Sort of like a car owner wanting to install a fuel injection system or
> headers on his car without having to know how a car works?

No, like a car owner wanting to *drive* his car without knowing how the
engine works.  Why should he?  He's not (necessarily) a mechanic.  He
buys a car as a tool for driving.  He buys a computer - which includes
the applications and OS - as a tool, to do work.

By your analogy, nobody should be able to drive a car unless they can
rebuild the engine.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Joe Cosby)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.qnx,comp.sys.amiga.misc
Date: 9 Sep 1999 06:01:53 GMT

** To reply in e-mail, remove "tamnif." from address **

"Paul E. Bell" hunched over his computer, typing feverishly;
thunder crashed, "Paul E. Bell" laughed madly, then wrote:
> "Jeffrey C. Dege" wrote:
> >

> > Nobody but an idiot enables active desktop.
>
> Thanks, I needed to be called an idiot.

I enabled active desktop because I wanted to use a jpg as
wallpaper and I didn't have time to copy and paste it into
MSPaint, and I haven't quite figured out how to un-enable it yet.
Or is it still enabled?  I dunno.

> I enabled active desktop for two reasons:
>
> -----
>  | |  _      \   _   _    |/ _   _(
>  | | (_X (_/`/\ (_) (_`   |\(_) (_) (_|_) (/`
>                       )

What is 'Paulos Kodohn', anyway?  "The book of Paul"?
--
Joe Cosby

Amiga Fanatic

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (eloki)
Crossposted-To: aus.computers.linux,alt.os.linux,alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: garbage collection
Date: 9 Sep 1999 06:31:45 GMT

Aaron <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote unto us:

>eh? I dunno abt that coz I've not writen any fork() functions yet.  I
>dun see any zombie processes.

  I'm not sure about the problem you're having, but I am pretty sure that
you didn't need to post your question to so many linux groups at once..
Follow-ups set to comp.os.linux.questions (looked appropriate, forgive me if
that's not so).
  Your memory usage should be reasonably stable unless you really are
leaking memory somewhere.  I found on my Debian box that a tail -f
.xsession-errors was being run and not killed on logout.  This gradually
leaked away my memory over the course of days/weeks.  Your problem might be
similar.

--
    eloki
eloki/at/zip.com.au

Dare I disturb the universe?  You bet I do! :)

------------------------------

From: K. Bjarnason <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 1999 22:58:46 -0700

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
> K. Bjarnason writes:
> > Oh, I see.  Linux *doesn't* do this any better than Windows,...
>
> From your description, I'd say that Microsoft is trying very hard to catch
> up to Linux in package management.  What is the MS equivalent of
> 'apt-get dist-upgrade'?  'apt-get source --compile'?
>
> > ...so you're simply spewing for the sake of making noise.  :)
>
> You figure it's ok to accuse someone of "spewing" as long as you hang a
> smiley on the end?

No, I figure it's okay to accuse someone of spewing when they're
obviously spewing.  The smiley just indicates I don't take their spewing
too seriously.