From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: HP 610C
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 10:17:02 -0400

Hello, I was just wondering:
I have an hp 610 ( or is it 612 ) C printer hooked to a windows computer. My
linux computer is on, 24/7, so I was thinking of moving the printer to it.
Just one thing: I have no "HP" drivers ont he drivers cd that came with the
printer.
How much trouble would it be to set it up with linux & Samba?
thanks.
joseph

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (D. Spider)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: End-User Alternative to Windows
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 14:13:35 GMT

It appears that on Mon, 11 Sep 2000 12:37:38 GMT, in
comp.os.linux.advocacy "Ingemar Lundin"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>REALLY?
>
>And what makes that Linux?

What makes what linux? Try to be coherent, at least.

        My email address is posted for purposes of private
        correspondence only. Consent is expressly NOT given
        to receive advertisements, or bulk mailings of any
                               kind.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter Kadau)
Subject: Re: Which firewall technique/product does this best?
Date: 11 Sep 2000 14:05:00 GMT

Arnstein Oseland ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: Henrik Sjostrand wrote:
: > technique or product for Linux that best suits these requirements....
:
: You can use ipchains and ipmasqadm which will meet most of your

for intrusion detection i'm running "portsentry", which does the job very well.
but it handles only tcp and udp scans.
for more advanced stuff i'm lost either...
i think, i fetched it at "sourceforge.net".

ciao cheers salut
        peter

------------------------------

From: Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Another SCSI bus question
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 08:21:18 -0500

Leonard Evens wrote:

> I have a Symbios SCSI adapter with two internal SCSI disks.
> I connected a HP PHotosmart scanner to the external SCSI
> port with an appropriate cable which went from 68 pin micro t
> 50 pin micro on the scanner.   When I boot, the system resets
> the SCSI bus several times in the process.   In particular
> after almost all the modules are started, I get (in
> /var/log/messages) a sequence of messages of the following type
>
> scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 22530, scsi0, channel 0, id
> 1, lun 0 Read (6) 16 98 66 04 00
> Sep 10 22:41:29 zaide kernel: ncr53c8xx_abort: pid=22530
> serial_number=22549 serial_number_at_timeout=22549
> Sep 10 22:41:29 zaide kernel: scsi : aborting command due to timeout :
> pid 22531, scsi0, channel 0, id 1, lun 0 Write (6) 00 00 42 02 00
> Sep 10 22:41:29 zaide kernel: ncr53c8xx_abort: pid=22531
> serial_number=22550 serial_number_at_timeout=22550
> Sep 10 22:41:29 zaide kernel: scsi : aborting command due to timeout :
> pid 22532, scsi0, channel 0, id 1, lun 0 Write (6) 00 00 50 02 00
> Sep 10 22:41:29 zaide kernel: ncr53c8xx_abort: pid=22532
> serial_number=22551 serial_number_at_timeout=22551
> Sep 10 22:41:29 zaide kernel: scsi : aborting command due to timeout :
> pid 22533, scsi0, channel 0, id 1, lun 0 Write (6) 00 02 8a 02 00
> Sep 10 22:41:29 zaide kernel: ncr53c8xx_abort: pid=22533
> serial_number=22552 serial_number_at_timeout=22552
>
> which eventually time out and then booting completes.  The
> scanner was set with SCSI ID 2.
>
> I'm reluctant to use it this way because I am worried about the
> reliability of the SCSI bus under these circumstances.  Also,
> it takes a lot longer to boot.
>
> Can anyone explain to me what might be going on.  Is there some
> way I can fix it?
>
> I have been using this external SCSI port with an external SCSI
> zip drive without any problems, but for test purposes I didn't
> have the zip drive connected.  The zip drive has ID 6 and the
> same thing happens if I daisy chain scanner with the zip drive.

I could install the SCSI card that came with the scanner, so I
would have two SCSI buses.  But I am concerned about a possible
shortage of interrupts.  I may have interrupt 7 free.   Does
anyone have any comments on that approach?

--

Leonard Evens      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      847-491-5537

From: Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SCSI bus question
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 08:19:07 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Leonard,
>
> Do you get the error when the SCSI-card scans the bus at bootup?
>
> Most SCSI problems are due to faulty termination and/or cable.
> Or simply because the terminator is in the middle of the chain.
> Since you stated that you've tried the scanner without the zip
> drive, I would say that you should check the cable to the scanner.
> If I remember correctly most scanners are terminated as default but
> you may have to check with your manual.

Thanks for the response.  The scanner documentation says that
termination is handled automatically by whether or not there
is a SCSI cable connected.  I tried it first with the scanner
in the middle of the chain and the zip drive on the end.  The
zip drive was terminated.  There was no problem on the scan of
the bus at bootup.  It found all the devices at the appropriate
locations with the appropriate IDs.   Also, I was able under Linux
to read a file on a zipdisk.  I didn't try to write to it,
but in the brief time I had it running, there were no SCSI
errors reported.  In previous cases where we've had troubles with
the SCSI bus there were sporadic errors reported.

I also tried it without the zip drive and assumed the documentation
for the scanner was correct.  There was no other apparent way
to terminate it, and the scanner had been operating correctly
with the SCSI card that it came with in another computer under
Windows.

It is possible the problem has something to do with the cable
which went from a 68 pin micro port to a 50 pin micro port.
But I suspect instead that there was some sort of incompatibility
between the scanner and the SCSI card.  I am also confused that
the kernel seemed to be looking for something at SCSI ID 1 when
the scanner was set at ID 2.  That was confirmed on the scan
at bootup.

> Have you tried the scanner on another machine/os ?

As indicated above, it works fine under Windows 95 on another
computer but using the SCSI card that came with the scanner.

> Regards
>
> Fredrik
>
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I have a Symbios SCSI adapter with two internal SCSI disks.
> > I connected a HP PHotosmart scanner to the external SCSI
> > port with an appropriate cable which went from 68 pin micro t
> > 50 pin micro on the scanner.   When I boot, the system resets
> > the SCSI bus several times in the process.   In particular
> > after almost all the modules are started, I get (in
> > /var/log/messages) a sequence of messages of the following type
> >
> > scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 22530, scsi0, channel 0,
> id
> > 1, lun 0 Read (6) 16 98 66 04 00
> > Sep 10 22:41:29 zaide kernel: ncr53c8xx_abort: pid=22530
> > serial_number=22549 serial_number_at_timeout=22549
> > Sep 10 22:41:29 zaide kernel: scsi : aborting command due to timeout :
> > pid 22531, scsi0, channel 0, id 1, lun 0 Write (6) 00 00 42 02 00
> > Sep 10 22:41:29 zaide kernel: ncr53c8xx_abort: pid=22531
> > serial_number=22550 serial_number_at_timeout=22550
> > Sep 10 22:41:29 zaide kernel: scsi : aborting command due to timeout :
> > pid 22532, scsi0, channel 0, id 1, lun 0 Write (6) 00 00 50 02 00
> > Sep 10 22:41:29 zaide kernel: ncr53c8xx_abort: pid=22532
> > serial_number=22551 serial_number_at_timeout=22551
> > Sep 10 22:41:29 zaide kernel: scsi : aborting command due to timeout :
> > pid 22533, scsi0, channel 0, id 1, lun 0 Write (6) 00 02 8a 02 00
> > Sep 10 22:41:29 zaide kernel: ncr53c8xx_abort: pid=22533
> > serial_number=22552 serial_number_at_timeout=22552
> >
> > which eventually time out and then booting completes.  The
> > scanner was set with SCSI ID 2.
> >
> > I'm reluctant to use it this way because I am worried about the
> > reliability of the SCSI bus under these circumstances.  Also,
> > it takes a lot longer to boot.
> >
> > Can anyone explain to me what might be going on.  Is there some
> > way I can fix it?
> >
> > I have been using this external SCSI port with an external SCSI
> > zip drive without any problems, but for test purposes I didn't
> > have the zip drive connected.  The zip drive has ID 6 and the
> > same thing happens if I daisy chain scanner with the zip drive.
> >
> > --
> >
> > Leonard Evens      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      847-491-5537
> > Dept. of Mathematics, Northwestern Univ., Evanston, IL 60208
> >

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

bus
--

Leonard Evens      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      847-491-5537

From: Chris Rehmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Control-alt-delete in RedHat 5.2
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 09:23:16 -0500

==============823C256E9E743812E5F0D71F

I seem to have recovered.  Again, my wife hit control-alt-backspace (not
delete).  Peter Breuer suggested that something else was wrong.  In fact, the
file .FVWM2-errors indicated that there was no space left on one of the
partitions.  I cleaned up and all is well for the moment.

Thanks for your help.

Chris

Chris Rehmann wrote:

> My wife was looking at Netscape on my machine running RedHat 5.2.  When it
> locked up, she pressed control-alt-delete, and it went back to the login
> screen. I logged in, but all I got was a single button in the upper left
> corner that
> said "xconsole" and a popup menu with "Exit FVWM" as the only option.  I was
> unable to get
> an xterm or any other window.
>
> How do I recover from control-alt-delete?  I am switching over to another
> system, and I recently ended the support contract for this machine.  I have
> looked at
> the documentation in the Linux Documentation Project, but I was unable to
> find anything
> relevant.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Chris Rehmann

Chris Rehmann                            Phone:  (217) 333-9077
Dept. of Civil & Environmental Eng.      Fax:    (217) 333-0687
Univ. of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign    Email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
2527 Hydrosystems Laboratory             Web:    staff.uiuc.edu/~rehmann
205 N. Mathews Ave.
Urbana, IL 61801

==============823C256E9E743812E5F0D71F

I seem to have recovered.&nbsp; Again, my wife hit control-alt-backspace
(not delete).&nbsp; Peter Breuer suggested that something else was wrong.&nbsp;
In fact, the file .FVWM2-errors indicated that there was no space left
on one of the partitions.&nbsp; I cleaned up and all is well for the moment.
RedHat 5.2.&nbsp; When it
login
left corner that
I was unable to get
to another
I have looked at
to find anything

<pre>--&nbsp;

Chris
Rehmann&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
 Phone:&nbsp; (217) 333-9077
Dept. of Civil &amp; Environmental Eng.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
Fax:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; (217) 333-0687
Univ. of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Email:&nbsp; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
2527 Hydrosystems
Laboratory&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
Web:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; staff.uiuc.edu/~rehmann
205 N. Mathews Ave.
Urbana, IL 61801
========================================================================</pre>
&nbsp;</html>

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Zexist)
Subject: Re: Apache: don't have permission to access / on this server (red hat 6.2)
Date: 11 Sep 2000 14:11:50 GMT

It is bug of Redhat, easy to fix as:

Edit /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf
Remark lines under section:<Files ~>

frank ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: Hi all!

: With my fresh install I have the following message in my browser when I
: http://192.168.0.1 : Forbidden you don't have permission to access / on
: this server.

: 1) I am logged in as root !
: 2) the httpd responds when I use file:/home/httpd/html/index.html
: 3) #ifconfig eth0 works
: 4) ping 192.168.0.1 works
: 5) ftp://192.168.0.1 works

: Any clue?

: Thanks for reading and have a nice day.

: Frank

------------------------------

From: "Tom Millington" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Help Needed Configuring Remote Printer on SUSE 6.4
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 15:49:07 +0100

Thanks everyone

I got it going by going to the SUSE site and downloading the latest boot
disk and creating a new one: it works! (a bit erratic to start with, though)

Regards

Tom

"Tom Millington" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8pa42n$aqn$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> I am a newbie trying to put Linux on another server, namely an old P133
> (Altos) that has 3 x 4.5Gb SCSI hard drives and a SCSI CDROM. The machine
is
> currently loaded with an old copy of SCO UNIX. I have tried to use the
Linux

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Davide Bianchi)
Subject: umount: /usr: device busy
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 15:00:55 GMT

Ok, I don't know what happened today, but now I can't shutdown the
server (Linux kernel 2.2.17) because the umount keep telling me
that the /usr is busy, so it wont' umount....

I've already killed all the deamons, basically there is nothing
alive... How can I know what is using /usr ?

Any idea ?

Davide

------------------------------

From: Tom Law <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Console locked?
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 11:03:23 -0400

    [I posted a question about this last week, but phrased it
differently...)]

    When I boot up my Redhat 6.0 linux system, I type in "linux" at the
"LILO Boot:" prompt, as usual (the word "linux" appears on the
display).    Yet, when it finishes booting, and gets to the "login:"
prompt, my keyboard won't work (no output on the display)!

    I notice in "/var/log/secure" the following line:
"pam_console[573]: console file lock already in place
/var/lock/console.lock".     This line appeared last Thursday and my
bootup problems began Friday.  I dunno if it's related.  There IS no
/var/lock/console.lock file, currently;  but there is an empty
/var/lock/console directory.

    I CAN telnet into the system from another PC, and reboot (with "init
6"), but it doesn't fix the problem...

    I'll greatly appreciate any suggestions!   [In case you haven't
surmised it already, I am a newbie.]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Problem copying root filesystem
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 15:06:24 GMT

Hi,

I have been trying to install RH 6.0 on to a reiserfs filesystem, and
have encountered problems I hope someone can help with. I apologise for
the lengthy post, I have tried to document everything I did.

The Procedure:
1. Install RH 6.0 onto partition 1.
2. Install reiserfs kernel.
3. Format partition 2 as reiserfs.
4. Copy root fs onto partition 2 and boot from it
5. Format partition 1 as reiserfs and copy root fs back.

The Story So Far:
1. One SCSI disk for linux (/boot on primary IDE), partioned as:
      sdb1 Linux Native 3GB
      sdb2{
            sdb5 Linux Swap 50MB
            sdb6 Linux Native 1GB
      }
2. Installed RH6.0 onto the following:
      sdb1 unused
      sdb5 swap
      sdb6 on /
3. Compiled linux 2.2.17 with reiserfs patch
4. Install new kernel, reboot.
5. Formatted unused partition for reiserfs:
      mkreiserfs /dev/sdb1
6. Copy complete filesystem onto new partition:
      mkdir /mnt/new; mount -t reiserfs /dev/sdb1 /mnt/new
      mkdir /mnt/new/boot
      mkdir /mnt/new/proc
      mkdir /mnt/new/mnt
      mkdir /mnt/new/mnt/floppy
      mkdir /mnt/new/cdrom
      mkdir /mnt/new/tmp
      cp -dpR /bin /mnt/new/bin
      cp -dpR /dev /mnt/new/dev
      cp -dpR /etc /mnt/new/etc
      cp -dpR /home /mnt/new/home
      cp -dpR /lib /mnt/new/lib
      cp -dpR /usr /mnt/new/usr
      cp -dpR /var /mnt/new/var
7. Edit /etc/lilo.conf to add /dev/sdb1 root as different option.
    image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.17
        label=linux
        root=/dev/sdb6
    image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.17
        label=new
        root=/dev/sdb1
8. Reboot into new - CRASH!

The Problem:
The kernel loads, but complains that it can't find various modules (e.g.
ethertap 1 thru 40). X refuses to load: the screen garbles, X shutsdown,
X restarts, the screen garbles...... ad infinitum.

Obviously I've done something stupid, but what?

Thanks for reading this far :-)

Chris
--
Chris Smith
Work: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: Caching files from CD---problem when playing MP3s on CD
Date: 11 Sep 2000 15:15:02 GMT

In comp.os.linux.misc Kasper Dupont <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Les Mikesell wrote:
:> Stdio only performs a small amount of read-ahead and buffering doesn't
:> help until something reads the data.  If you did a 'cat file >/dev/null'
:> you would force the contents to be read into the buffer and the disk
:> would not be accessed on subsequent reads until something else

: Isn't the kernel supported to do readahead in the background?

Yes.

: If that is the case is it supported on all filesystems?

It is not at the FS level, but below. All block devices normally
have some readahead set. But in any case what Les was talking about
was caching, not readahead. Readahead would normally be of the order
16 or so blocks .. tiny. It will vary per device.

From: "Ingemar Lundin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 15:34:05 GMT

fuck yourself...hows that for coherent?

/IL

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Beaty)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: What is the maximum swap space?  Max RAM?
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 15:35:55 GMT

"Arctic Storm" wrote:
> What is the maximum swap space?  Max RAM?

If you're running the default kernel with RedHat 6.2 then the answers are
'up to the limit of your harddrive space', and 'up to the limits of the
hardware'.

I say this because for different hardware configurations the physical RAM
limits are different. Right now I have a Compaq ProLiant 5500 with 45GB
of hardware RAID 5 and a 2 GB swap file. I also have 2.25GB of physical
RAM - with a maximum of 4.25 GB on this box.

> There are many web sites, including RedHat, that seems to imply that
the
> maximum swap space is 128 MB.

Old information.

> I have 194 MB RAM, and I'm under the impression that larger the swap
space,
> the better, so I chose 384 MB of swap space (2x RAM).

It depends on what you're doing with your machine. If you *need* to have
578MB of RAM but clearly dont' have it in physical RAM - then keep the
settings. There's always some overhead in  having more swap space than
needed, but since you can't change it on the fly, you need to plan ahead
and try to predict what you'll be needing in the future.

As for me, I knew that there would be times I needed more than 3GB of
memory, so I went with 2.25 physical and 2 swap. But that's because I
knew what I'd be doing and could predict what I needed.

                        Thanks,
                          Bob   ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
                        The Man from S.P.U.D.
                        We will write no code before it's designed.

------------------------------

Subject: Problems with e2fsck
From: Reid Rivenburgh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 11 Sep 2000 09:43:38 -0600

Hi,

My computer has been hanging recently, to the point that sysrq doesn't
even work.  When I reboot, fsck usually works fine, but last night I
got a lot of these messages on one partition when running e2fsck
manually:

Duplicate/bad block(s) in inode 1864358: 3954873 3954874 3954875
3954876 3954877 3954878 3954879 3954880 3954881 3954882 3954883
3954884 3954885 3954886 3954887

There were tons of the above messages.  After maybe ten minutes it
stopped printing them.  At that point, the cpu usage went to 100% and
the disk was rarely accessed.  I let it run all night just in case,
but it hadn't changed or finished by morning.  Anyone know what the
problem might be...?

I'm using kernel 2.4.0-test7, e2fsprogs 1.19 (upgraded from 1.18 to
see if it would fix the problem).

Thanks,
Reid

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Nathaniel Jay Lee)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Business management software on Linux
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 15:59:33 GMT

Mohd-Hanafiah Abdullah <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> spoke thusly:
>What is the best business management software on Linux right now that also
>includes inventory management?  Thanks ahead.
>
>Napi

We are using something at my place of business called
Appgen.  It is an accounting/inventory/management software
based on a client/server architecture.  Check out
http://www.appgen.com for more info on it.  We have had
pretty good luck with it, and it's fairly customizable (we
have ours customized for the cabinetry business).

Nathaniel Jay Lee