[ Wednesday, October  6, 1999 ] Stephen Waters wrote:
> James Manning wrote:
> > [ Tuesday, October  5, 1999 ] Tom Jones wrote:
> > The patched lilo that comes with Red Hat 6.1 includes the (extensive)
> > lilo.raid1 patch that appears to allow booting from not only s/w raid1
> > but also other s/w raid's as well.  This feature was mentioned at a
> > presentation of RH 6.1 last night and I was glad to hear about it :)
>
> the lilo patch works across a stripe set??!!  that would be immensely
> cool, though my skepticism meter is on "high" right now...

There I go believing marketing again :)  I think the presenter (who
admitted it wasn't his code) was just a little confused, as part
of the lilo patch is:

+  if (md_array_info.level != 1)
+      die("Only RAID1 devices are supported as boot devices");

To be honest, though, I can't think of many situations where I'd go with
non-raid1 (or maybe 1+0) for /boot anyway...

James
--
Miscellaneous Engineer --- IBM Netfinity Performance Development