On Wed, Oct 06, 1999 at 11:38:07AM -0400, James Manning wrote:
> [ Tuesday, October  5, 1999 ] Tom Jones wrote:
> > Yes.  You can install root to a raid device during the install.  However
> > you will still need to have a /boot that is not on the raid device.
>
> Actually, I don't believe this is the case.... With RH 6.1 you
> no longer need to keep the separate non-raid /boot
>
> The patched lilo that comes with Red Hat 6.1 includes the (extensive)
> lilo.raid1 patch that appears to allow booting from not only s/w raid1

While this may be true, I had a different experience last night with the
RH 6.1 graphical installer.

I first setup three RAID-PARTITIONS and then grouped them into a RAID-5
using /dev/md0 and set the mount point for it to /.
At this point the installer would not allow me to progress.
(The NEXT button on the installer wizard was greyed out).

I intended to boot off floppy and did not want a seperate boot
partition.  There was no option for this at this time.

It was not until I added a small /boot partition (not on /dev/md0) that
I was allowed to continue.

I did not add the /boot partition on /dev/md0, but now that I think
about it I guess I could have.  I will re-try it tonight with the /boot
on /dev/md0.  I guess the real issue was not being able to continue
without specifying a /boot, but I don't really understand that since my
8Gig disk has only 1021 cylinders so I don't have to worry where the
files are placed and the /boot should have been fine as a subdir of /.

Anyone able to clear up my confusion that has tried to place /boot on
/dev/mdX ?

BTW, in case anyone has figured it out, yes all three partitions were on
the same IDE disk, but I was just doing it to test RAID-5.  The install
did fail miserably, but I'm not sure that is the topic of this list.

Joe Schofield