On Fri, 13 Dec 2002 09:45:13 -0500 (EST), Net Llama! wrote:

> Go with Xine.  Its worth all the extra effort.  See my SxS for building
> Xine, and its very easy to build.  MPlayer is a great movie player, but
> i've had loads of problems trying to get it to work right with DVDs, while
> Xine has always worked perfectly for DVDs.

Hot diggity, dog!!  Well, I tried and tried and failed until I finally got
it right!  I used your stepbystep, Lonnie and after I got the latest of
everything like you said to do, I compiled.  I got right up to xine-ui and
got errors about aalib.  I checked and I had it.  I tried the other
front-end and got some major error there.  I gave up.  I tried lots of stuff
to get mplayer to work.

Well, today I gave compiling xine-ui one more shot and this time I looked in
aptitude and found there is more than just plain aalib - there's aalib-dev
and aalib-bin.  I install both with apt-get and then configured xine-ui.
Bingo!  And it works flawlessly!  This is terrific.

Of course this is on top of the upgrade to a geforce2 agp video card and
using the nvidia drivers.  Man, this was a fun learning experience.  I had
just about everything wrong possible, but got it all sorted out.  Thanks so
much for the help.  You are absolutely right that xine works where mplayer
wouldn't.

Btw, can you tell me how to make the player disappear when the movie is
going?  I poked around on the thing and couldn't find it.

Anita

--
Anita
GnuPG key: 1024D/9EDAC910