I do have pilot link. It can be made to work. But, I see no way to integrate
pilot-link with jpilot, unless this cryptic note is supposed to tell me how
to do it (from the jpilot documentation.)

     USB Palms (m series) and Sony Clies will work, but require
     pilot-link 0.10.1 or greater, which is still unreleased
     at the time of this writing.  J-Pilot will autodetect
     the newer version of pilot-link and build appropriately.

Does this mean:
1. Jpilot has to have a working installing of pilot-link when:
        a.jpilot runs,
                or
        b. when jpilot builds
                or
        c. both a & b ?

2. Do the debian provided packages build with pilot-link?

Well, it looks like the jpilot people expect I will install gcc, get the
sources of jpilot,  get the sources for pilot-link, build the latter,
somehow verify that pilot-link is "working" (What the heck does that
mean? ), then build jpilot, hoping that it will build properly with
pilot-link. All this for a guy trying hard to believe in the debian
package system and an EZ out of the box distro like lindows.

All this just to do something pathetically simple in windows.

Who is Michael (of Lindows fame) trying to fool with his easy to use linux
PR  stuff.  The best way to kill a bad product is with good advertising.

Who are the jpilot people imagining their target audience to be? It can
only be one of people with nothing to do but fool with ridiculous minutiae
on their computers.

It looks like my only chance is to use pilot-link as a stand
alone. Problem is, can I read my old data from jpilot with pilot-link. Who
knows? Who cares. I'll just type it in.

Just to show what a geek I am, I would go through all this hassle  just to
make it work. But, I know that next time I buy a PDA, I will likely go
through this same waste of time all over again.  I am through with this
nonsense.

Sad but true, I will have to run windows just to sync my PDA. Geez. Maybe
I can find a machine at work.

Joel