You are right about that. Nations have avoided declaring war in the last 50
years. Strange.  I guess they want to save paperwork.
However, FDR, without the consent of Congress, and in fact in opposition to
Congress and the majority of the American people, engaged in acts of war
against both Japan and Germany. For this alone he should have been
impeached. All the American dead in WW II are on his hands.
Germany at least wanted desperately to avoid hostilities
with the USA. I have read a lot about the Nazis.
If Sweden didn't want to fight the Nazis, why should we?
I have been impressed by how well chosen words can mask the truth.
World War II didn't start in 1939 with the invasion of Poland. We didn't get
involved in WW II in 1941. There was no world war until we got involved.
And, what beyond weakening Germany and Japan was achieved by this war?
Nothing, as far as I can see. To celebrate WW II as a "good" war is beyond
belief.
Now a good war was in 1848 (or there abouts) with Mexico, since we got
California (since reclaimed) and Texas (oil) from Mexico. However, even that
victory was tainted according to US Grant, since he claimed in his
autobiography that the acquisition of those territories was the root cause
of the American Civil War.
Joel