On Tue, 1 Jan 2002 10:27:48 -0500
Joel Hammer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> spewed into the bitstream:

[snip]
> Which unit is more convenient for measuring air temperature, Fahrenheit
or
> Centigrade?
> Centigrade is based on the freezing and boiling points of water. Dr.
> Fahrenheit, on the other hand, traveled all over Europe and, using his
> device, set 100 to the hottest temperature normally expected and set 0
> the lowest temperature normally expected, ie, the Fahrenheit scale was
> designed for a particular use, measuring air temperature.

Ummm.  Where'd you get this little bit of wisdom?  I learned it this way:

On the Fahrenheit scale, the freezing point of water is 32 degrees and the
boiling point is 212 degrees. Zero Fahrenheit was the coldest temperature
that the German-born scientist Gabriel Daniel Fahrenheit could create with
a mixture of ice and ordinary salt. He invented the mercury thermometer
and introduced it and his scale in 1714 in Holland, where he lived most of
his life.

The above from the nasa.gov site discussing Fahrenheit, Celsius
(centigrade), and Kelvin.

Ciao,

David A. Bandel
                -- Nemesis Racing Team motto