> So is "&" an abbreviation for "and"? It is ligature, that
> stands for "and", but should we really mark it up as <abbr>?

'+' is a ligature and a symbol for the word 'plus'. A screen reader should
say 'plus' when it finds '+'.

'&' is a ligature and a symbol for the word 'ampersand'. But a screen reader
should say 'and' when it finds '&'.

'x' can be a ligature when it's a symbol for the word 'times'. A screen
reader should say 'times' when it finds 'x' in the context of 11 x 5 = 55
(please God, let my maths be right).

'x' can be a ligature when it's a symbol for the word 'by'. A screen reader
should say 'by' when it finds 'x' in the context of 1024 x 768.

'x' can be a symbol for the word 'unknown', in which context it is not a
ligature. It can also be the letter 'x'. A screen reader should say 'ecks'
when it finds 'x' in these contexts.

None of these is an abbreviation.

'No.' is an abbreviation of the word 'number'. A screen reader should say
'number' when it finds 'No.'.

So how do we tell screen readers (and browsers) which is the right function,
depending on the context?

Ricky