Ricky Onsman wrote:

So how do we tell screen readers (and browsers) which is the right function,
depending on the context?

As long as the language we use to mark up content does not natively cater for this infusion of meaning, we can either hack around the shortcomings of HTML by perverting some of its constructs (overloading the use of ABBR - on a tangent, this is the same thing that's happening with some microformat usage, such as that suggested by Tantek for marking up dates...a very inelegant, and definitely not screen reader friendly, usage) or rely on heuristics in user agents to make educated guesses as to what the intended meaning is. Or, as is already the case for sighted users, we leave it up to the reader/user to filter what's presented by the user agent at face value and draw their own conclusions based on their interpretation of the context (which, in most cases, would be far more accurate than any guesses by a machine).

Patrick H. Lauke
http://redux.deviantart.com