Tony & Les,

I do think we should be signalling node's enabled/active capabilities
including the ability to process various types of encoded PDUs in band.

I do not believe in live management planes. Sure getting stats, config push
etc ... it is all doable and deployed. But dynamic configuration based on
nodes activated capabilities via mgmt plane is hard as we keep adding stuff
to protocols. Even if one builds such tool today tomorrow it is obsoleted.

I do however consider Les's points as valid too. Especially insertion of
node anywhere in the area which may not be capable of handling some
encoding (and does not need to operationally) yet his signalling if we act
on it in the protocol operationally would have a potential to break
existing features. So to do this right such capability signalling would
need to contain scope.

But I see no harm in having such info available as mgmt information. After
all this is all pretty static and so little that I am not sure why we are
even spending time to discuss it so long.

> The thought of someone keeping all of this in their heads is simply naive.

Or maybe it is actually smart :) Maybe the goal here is to make networks so
complex that only a few can safely operate them. Otherwise just outsource
it and use "...as-a-service".

Best,
R.