Just to add and expand to your point Les ...

The concept of "forward referencing" used in some OSes explicitly permit
configuration of elements not even present on the box or in the system
ahead of time. For example you can configure an interface which will be
inserted later.

Same for any network wide feature.

However this means that activation of such network wide features can take
place under dynamic conditions too. If "all nodes required" support feature
X I can advertise it. (Let's assume that other nodes which do not require
it will not crash).

That means that having such dynamic capability may be actually pretty
helpful.

Thx,
R.