Peter Psenak <ppsenak=40cisco....@dmarc.ietf.org> writes:

Chris,

On 06/10/2022 18:34, Christian Hopps wrote:
Peter Psenak <ppse...@cisco.com> writes:

Tony, Les,

I believe we can all agree that we do not want to change the behavior of
existing implementations that support MP-TLVs based on the advertisements of the
MP-capability from other routers - it would break existing networks. Even the
text in the MP-TLV draft does not suggest that to be the case.
Are people not looking at the spreadsheet Tony put together?
Which implicit multi-part TLVs are these "existing implementations"
advertising that keep getting referred to? Please let's work with real data --
the spreadsheet shows a grand total of *0* TLVs that could fall in this
category.

then the spreadsheet is incorrect.

I know of implementation that can send and receive Multi part TLVs for IPv4/IPv6
(MT) IP Reach, (MT) Extended IS reachability and IS-IS Router CAPABILITY TLV to
start with.

Do you know all of the implementations, and all of those that don't? If we
could publish that list then we presumably could explore more simple solutions.
:)

People keep talking about breaking deployed networks, but that assumes there
are functional networks with implicit MP-TLVs in them. I am not sure I accept
the assertion that these networks are truly functional.

AFAICT these networks are *lucky* to be working. There's no document to point
at, there's no bit to look at, there's literally nothing to help an operator or
their routers know if all the routers correctly receive and process these
implicit MP-TLVs. These networks are one network change (even as small as an
interface up or down event) away from failing, or may even be failing already
but not yet in a noticeable way. This is the case regardless of what type of
bit or functionality this document provides.

So while looking for a solution here, I think less weight should be placed on these "lucky
networks". I'm not saying we should intentionally break them, but they should also not count
as "fully-functional" either.

Thanks,
Chris.
[as wg-member]

thanks,
Peter
Thanks,
Chris.

I find the discussion about advertising supported capabilities for management
purposes in IGPs interesting, but not specific, nor directly related to the
MP-TLV draft. Keeping the two separate would make a lot of sense.

my 2c,
Peter