In einer eMail vom 01.12.2006 19:59:41 Westeurop=E4ische Normalzeit schreibt
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:

> Mark
>   I am just thinking that the idea of the thumb-damping could perhaps
> be more relevant to metal
> wound strings. I think many lute players, even today, damp their
> metal wound strings (with the right-hand).
> However, on pure unwound gut strings the sustain almost instantly
> disappears when you release the
> course (I suppose this is relative, and damping could still make this
> more instantaneous) .
> Perhaps this may not be the case if the course is struck by a
> plectrum (I have never tried), so it still could be
> a position carried over from the days of plectrum use.
> Today, bass oud strings appear to be metal wound. Has this always
> been the case?
> Your  cittern example is, I feel sure, metal strung.

Hi,

I am not talking about damping a string that has been struck, but damping a
string that I don't want to play.
On a renaissance cittern if you play a G chord without a third you just play
the highest 3 strings. So I damp the lowest and can go all Pete Townsend :)

By the way, the whole problem of basses ringing too long was something that
even was a subject for 17th century lutenists with gut strings. The 12 course
lute with an extension was only shortly popular in France and then went out of
fashion because the basses sounded too long.

best wishes
Mark