I think the quest for louder and louder musical instruments is
   inevitable.  With larger concert halls more musical volume is needed.
   And as listeners experience more and more noise in their daily
   environments, they become less sensitive to lower volume music.  And -
   in addition to the larger concert venues - as the ambient noise level
   in the halls increases due to rustling programs, coughing, talking and
   now ringing cell phones and beepers, more musical volume is needed to
   be heard.  Sigh. . .  But happily I can sit in my listening room at
   home and listen to recordings with the volume turned as low as I like.

   Ned