Hello Chris, my message was a little bit of humour...
Here the ensemble iwas vocal (5 men voices) and one lute (or so called), so you can hear it even a "normal" lute ( I mean, non "forte"...) if well played. When I said play guitar is because during the concert, liuto forte sounds really like a guitar... Of course the image for the public was better with the form of a lute. But the two lutenists in the public, M. Forget (well known for his Weiss intabulations...) and myself, were really not happy with this lute, even the musician is a good one, but the sound of the instrument was really not satisfying. my opinion...
V.

----- Original Message ----- From: <chriswi...@yahoo.com>
To: <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>; "Sauvage Valéry" <sauvag...@orange.fr>
Sent: Sunday, December 20, 2009 12:18 AM
Subject: Re: [LUTE] Re: Liuto forte

Valery,

--- On Sat, 12/19/09, Sauvage Valéry <sauvag...@orange.fr> wrote:
Ok forte,
we can hear it, but sounds like a guitar (single strung for
the one he used).
So why not play the guitar ? modern and loud instrument you
can play with nails...

Really? I've found the modern classical guitar to be a really, really awful ensemble instrument when dealing with anything else other than other classical guitars or one other instrument/voice. While the signal coming from it may be technically louder than most types of lutes, it is designed to emphasize the lower partials so that the sound is literally swallowed up by other modern instruments. This sort of dark timbre can be very effective for a certain portion (but not all) of the solo repertoire, but it really loses its charm in other situations. This is why A) it MUST be played with nails B) even then it doesn't project particularly well and C) you often hear the instrument amplified in even small ensembles.

If you're going to amplify it, what's the point of using that type of guitar (unless you want to make the amplification part of the effect and timbre itself, a la George Crumb)? This is why I haven't used a classical guitar in any of my ensemble music for years. A steel-string guitar works very well unamplified in a small ensemble and the electric guitar has no volume limitations at all. Contemporary composers would find much of interest in these instruments and modern classical guitarists would be well advised to think of them as alternate versions of their instrument. Unfortunately, classical players often perceive them as some kind of threat from outside the "official" guitar world.

I haven't found this same problem with lutes or theorbos. The emphasis of higher partials means that the sound on both can cut through quite well. Play close to the bridge and you can be heard most of the time. I've been thinking of writing a duo for lute and modern guitar. Maybe now's the time to investigate the project.

Chris

----- Original Message ----- From: "wolfgang wiehe" <wie-w...@gmx.de>