Mark,

--- On Sun, 12/20/09, terli...@aol.com <terli...@aol.com> wrote:

> From: terli...@aol.com <terli...@aol.com>
> Subject: [LUTE] Re: Liuto forte
> To: lute@cs.dartmouth.edu
> Date: Sunday, December 20, 2009, 9:30 AM
>

> I write at the risk of being gummed to death by a horde of
> irate lutenists:

Nope.  I'm not anti-classical guitar at all.  I consider myself a musician who
chooses the right tool for the job.  Much as I love theorbo or baroque lute,
there's lots of music for which these instruments are totally unsuitable.  Same
with guitar.

> I don't know what kind of guitars and guitar playing
> lutenists here have been exposed to here but there is a wide
> variety of types of guitars and playing styles.

I totally agree!  As mentioned in my last message, I believe classical players
should even expand their horizons to include steel-string and electric guitars
in a classical context.  Nice as the nylon guitar is, this is such an easy way
to extend the dynamic and tonal range of the guitar to nearly orchestral
proportions.

I have a master's degree in classical guitar from highly regarded conservatory.
 My main area of emphasis was on contemporary music.  I've written a lot of
music for it and continue to write for it.  Nowadays I only compose solo music
for the nylon-string guitar for the reasons outlined in my last message: a
modern guitar is built for the purpose of bringing forth a full, rich sonic
spectrum.  Nice.  However, much of this charm gets lost when other instruments
with greater emphasis on higher partials are employed.  So why use it in
chamber music when other types of guitars exist which do bring out the higher
partials?

> Hauser style
> guitar guitars are very good for playing some lute music.
> Smallman type guitars are less good for playing most lute
> music. To play lute music decently on guitar takes a certain
> touch...there are players that can do it.

True.  I have no problem with guitarists playing lute music, but I'm not very
interested in doing it myself for the same reason I don't play Villa-Lobos on
my 13-course.  At the same time folks should keep in mind that the nylon-string
classical guitar as we know it only came into being circa 1950.

> The guitar (unamplified) works great great in ensemble
> playing e.g Boulez: Le marteau sans maître: Webern op.18,
> Takemitsu: Ring for Lute,flute and guitar...

I haven't really found so.  Even in something like Takemitsu's "Toward the Sea"
the guitar is outshined by the delicate alto flute.  The soft alto flute tosses
off these gentle waves of sound while us poor guitarists are fighting to slam
out every note.  I've seen these works performed with amplified guitars but
things always sound so boomy to me.

Already with Webern we may ask ourselves what exactly the appropriate
instrument really is.  The Stauffer-style type of guitar construction remained
current in Austria well into the 1920's.  Certainly the heavily-built nylon
string instrument is out!  I would love to research the status of the guitar in
early 20th-century Vienna.  There's a new idea: Second Viennese Performance
Practice!