"I don't see how it's substantially different from any other
   instrument's repetoire. . ."

   I don't think it's denigrating to any instrument to accept that there
   are very substantial differences in both quantity and quality
   between it's repetoire and that of other instuments.    The reason I
   switched from the lute to the cello many years ago was because - having
   enjoyed early ensemble music - I wanted to explore more recent ensemble
   music, especially the string quartet.  The reason I've returned to the
   lute is that I now want to explore the wonderful solo repetoire for the
   lute (comparatively speaking, there ain't a lot for cello).

   Playing the lute, I never experienced anything like the late Beethoven
   quartets.  Playing the cello, I never experienced anything like Dowland
   lute songs or solos.  Not playing the piano, I'll never experience
   anything like the Brahms sonatas. . .

   Ned