Franz, you deserve a compliment. You say you LF has a good tone, but
   of course you are aware that the player makes the tone. A good player
   can make any instrument sound good, as a bad player can make the best
   possible instrument sound bad. Perhaps nowhere more true than on a
   lute.

   Thanks so much David :-) but don't compliment me too much - I might get
   encouraged to enerve you and waste even more of my time (which should
   be spent otherwise) on the list... you are of course right, but not in
   every respect: I have NOT been able to make the LF sound much (though
   somwhat...) lute-like by using fingernails. It sounds lute-like ONLY
   with a certain finger pad technique which I found out by experimenting.
   I have to admit that this lute-like sound is somewhere between
   (romantic, finger-pad played) guitar and my double course (synthetic
   string) lute, but given my alternatives, I LOVED that sound because it
   seems to my ears a little more singing and warm than my Renaissance
   lute. Not very original-minded, I know... And, as I said, maybe the
   lute sounds best if it sounds "as it should..." as Mathias seems to
   suggest... I will love to take opportunities to have a try with better
   lutes than mine.

   Best
   Franz

   On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 12:59 PM, "Mathias Roesel"

   <mathias.roe...@t-online.de> wrote:
   > some single-strung chitarroni with synthetical strings may come
   close,
   Or single strung archlutes with synthetics?
   [1]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_FkwK24ZYY
   (So much nicer than their Dowland.)
   David - in hiding for mentioning S. and K. on the list ;-)