On 11/08/13 2:27 PM, William Samson wrote:
Gadzooks and odsbodikins (as we lute-playing chappies are wont to
    say)!  Do you think there's a case for an astro-lute breakaway group?
    I was curator of a public observatory in Dundee, Scotland for five
    years, before I retired.

    [1]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mills_Observatory

    How many of us will be watching for Perseid meteors this evening?  . .
    . And perhaps playing our lutes?

I remember sneaking away at the crack of dawn from the LSA Seminar at Tufts in 1999 to sit in the drizzle on a hillside in hopes of seeing some darkening from the solar eclipse out over the Atlantic that day. As I recall, you folks in the British Isles didn't fare much better weatherwise with that one. You'd think I'd be the only person crazy enough to do this, but I was joined by half a dozen other eclipse nuts who had scoped out the same hillside. At least I could console myself by playing lute ensembles with Doug Freundlich later in the day!

Geoff

--
Geoff Gaherty
Foxmead Observatory