I would say so. IMHO most probably a 13-course lute - or a similar instrument was meant. BTW - there had been some lutenists in Leipzig then, as for instance Johann Kaspar Gleditsch, who played hoboe for Bach also.

Best regards
Markus

Am 20.03.2018 um 10:07 schrieb Stephan Olbertz:
So we can conclude that the mandora (Schlegel's type 3) was in all
probability neither the intended instrument in Betrachte, nor a continuo
instrument in Saxony.

Regards
Stephan

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu [mailto:lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu] Im Auftrag
von Markus Lutz
Gesendet: Montag, 19. März 2018 22:08
An: 'lute@cs.dartmouth.edu'
Betreff: [LUTE] Re: Betrachte meine Seel

It is very important to tell between the different instruments.
There are 3 to differ:
1. The colascione, which are long necked instruments with 3 often single
strings, only used for bass 2. The galizona (gallichon), that was used as
bass instrument especially by Telemann and played especially the bass lines,
but only few chords (also called theorbo in some sources) 3. The mandora,
which was used especially in South of Germany and Austria for solo and
ensemble music, from 1720 on

I'm sure Andreas Schlegel can explain everything in detail.
The terminology is quite confusing, as the terms have been used differently
in different parts of Europe.

The mandore (3.) probably wasn't used as continuo instrument.

Best regards
Markus