Seak>      Yes, I could assure you that it's conventional (ie. it is a
Seak> convention / habit) to use same font size in fraction as well as
Seak> in non fraction. In this fraction y² x = -- z

Seak> the default behaviour of LyX (and LaTeX?) is to use smaller font
Seak> for 'y' and 'z', and an even smaller one for '2', but usually,
Seak> 'x', 'y' and 'z' should have the same size.

LyX put all these in the same size in a displayed equation (i.e. an
equation which is alone on its line). For a text equation (inside a
line of text), using fractions like you propose leads to an uneven
spacing of lines and makes text difficult to read (the same holds for
sum sub/superscripts).

Seak>      You could check this by looking at any scientific books,
Seak> reviews, letter or articles. If you like, here are some English
Seak> references at my disposition to persuade you:

I do not have those reference in out library, but do you mean that
they use the same size of fractions _inside_ of text? And they manage
to get a correct spacing?

Have a look at the example appended to see what I mean. In this case,
the second paragraph is clearly not typeset correctly.

>> If you want that in a document add the following to your preamble
>> (not tested):
>>
>> \usepackage{amsmath} \let\frac=\dfrac

Seak>      I suppose you mean in my .lyx file, right? Well, I put
Seak> these two lines at the beginning of the file and before "\layout
Seak> Standard" using a text editor. I then open it using LyX but I
Seak> get this message:

As Lars said, it is in Layout->LaTeX_Preamble.

Hope this helps.

JMarc

#This file was created by <lasgoutt> Tue Nov 23 14:26:58 1999
#LyX 1.0 (C) 1995-1999 Matthias Ettrich and the LyX Team
\lyxformat 2.15
\textclass article
\language default
\inputencoding latin1
\fontscheme default
\graphics default
\paperfontsize default
\spacing single
\papersize Default
\paperpackage a4
\use_geometry 0
\use_amsmath 0
\paperorientation portrait
\secnumdepth 3
\tocdepth 3
\paragraph_separation indent
\defskip medskip
\quotes_language english
\quotes_times 2
\papercolumns 1
\papersides 1
\paperpagestyle default

\layout Standard

This fraction is small and so the line spacing is even.
 This fraction is small and so the line spacing is even.
 This fraction is small and so the line spacing is even.
 This fraction is small and so the line spacing is even.
 This fraction is small and so the line spacing is even.
 This fraction is small and so the line spacing is even.
 This fraction is small and so the line spacing is even.
 This fraction is small and so the line spacing is even.
 In fact the fraction is here
\begin_inset Formula \( x=\frac{y^{2}}{z} \)
\end_inset

.
 This fraction is small and so the line spacing is even.
 This fraction is small and so the line spacing is even.
 This fraction is small and so the line spacing is even.
 This fraction is small and so the line spacing is even.
 This fraction is small and so the line spacing is even.
 This fraction is small and so the line spacing is even.
 This fraction is small and so the line spacing is even.

\layout Standard

This fraction is big, so the line spacing is not even.
 This fraction is big, so the line spacing is not even.
 This fraction is big, so the line spacing is not even.
 This fraction is big, so the line spacing is not even.
 This fraction is big, so the line spacing is not even.
 This fraction is big, so the line spacing is not even.
 This fraction is big, so the line spacing is not even.
 This fraction is big, so the line spacing is not even.
 This fraction is big, so the line spacing is not even.
 This fraction is big, so the line spacing is not even.
 The fraction is here
\begin_inset Formula \( x=\displaystyle \frac{y^{2}}{z} \)
\end_inset

.
 This fraction is big, so the line spacing is not even.
 This fraction is big, so the line spacing is not even.
 This fraction is big, so the line spacing is not even.
 This fraction is big, so the line spacing is not even.
 This fraction is big, so the line spacing is not even.
 This fraction is big, so the line spacing is not even.
 This fraction is big, so the line spacing is not even.
 This fraction is big, so the line spacing is not even.
 The faction should be displayd as follows:
\begin_inset Formula
\[
x=\frac{y^{2}}{z}\]

\end_inset