On Tue, Oct 13, 2015 at 09:20:49AM +0900, Cyrille Artho wrote:
> Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:
> >Le 12/10/2015 12:38, Liviu Andronic a écrit :
> >>So as far as Trusty users are concerned (likely a big chunk of the
> >>Ubuntu user base), if 2.2.0 depends on Qt 5.6 they will be locked into
> >>Qt 4.8 for the entire 2.2.x series.
> >>
> >>I don't know if the benefits of depending on Qt 5.6 outweigh such
> >>concerns. Maybe if we relied on ifdefs to support in parallel Qt 5.2
> >>and 5.6, but I hear this can cause maintenance nightmares...
> >
> >The question is not about requiring qt 5.6 as I understand it. But the fact
> >is that it is required for proper HiDPI support and will be used at least
> >for the mac binaries.
> >
> >As far as linux is concerned, we require Qt 4.5, which should be good
> >enough :)
> >
> >JMarc
> >
> In that case it's a good opportunity to test Qt 5.6 with the next alpha
> release.

Sounds good. Do note though that it would be Qt 5.6 *beta*. I still
think it makes sense to test our alpha with their beta. If things go
well, then we know that we should stick with 5.6 and there is not much
discussion to be had. If there are some disastrous bugs that we
attribute to 5.6, then well the alpha has served its purpose and we will
need to discuss whether they are bugs that will be solved by the final
release of 5.6. I'm most concerned that there might be something that
LyX needs to change on our end to adapt to 5.6, and if that is the case
we need to know what that is as soon as possible.

Any other opinions?

Stephan and Uwe do you forsee any packaging problems with using Qt 5.6
beta as opposed to Qt 5.5 ?

> More and more people have high-res displays so I think being proactive with
> picking up a new library that supports them is the right way to go.
>
> Once high-res displays are properly supported and the (Qt) bugs worked out,
> we can again slow down our adaptation of Qt 5.x (and stick with 5.6 or 5.7,
> depending on what works best in the near future).

Agreed.

Scott