Uwe Stöhr wrote:

> Besides this I am still using MSVC 2010. I need to update to MSVC 2012
> or newer and this is another challenge. I already tested MSVC 2012 with
> Qt 5.5 with success. Let's see what Qt 5.6 supports and if I can then
> still compile LyX 2.1.x with Qt 4.x and MSVC 2010 on the same PC.

I would suggest to use the newest stable version, with is currently MSVC
2015. Then you need to update and adjust to changes look and feel less
often.

In general, installing two MSVC versions in parallel is no problem, the same
is true for qt. The only thing you need to make sure is that none of these
versions is listed in the PATH or other environment variables. Then you can
use two build.bat files for the two versions, and set all needed environment
variables (e.g. adding the qt bin dir to PATH for moc etc) separate in these
two files.

Furthermore, a new MSVC version requires a new dependency package. As I
already wrote to David Hyde (who wants to compile LyX with a newer MSVC), I
think that the current procedure of providing the binaries for a sepcific
MSVC version produces too much work in the long run. Instead, a python or
cmake script to download the sources of the dependencies and compile them
should be written. This is more effort initially, but pays off in the long
term, and also removes some pressure from you, since others can then create
the dependencies they need without manual work for you.

Georg