On Tue, Oct 20, 2015 at 10:03:27PM +0000, Paul A. Rubin wrote:

> > I did not test (I assume I get the same result as Kornel since I have a
> > similar system), but I suppose the next step is to send the .tex files.
> > e.g. instead of exporting to PDF (pdflatex) export to LaTeX (pdflatex).

I do indeed have the same result as Kornel.

> Scott: I exported both pdflatex and "plain" versions, and just for grins I
> compiled the plain version in a shell. The DVI file contains no markup.
> Comparing the two .tex files, all differences are in the header; the bodies
> are identical. I've zipped up both .tex files and the .aux, .dvi and .log
> files from the "plain" version here:
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/xgv720xpzyt8hh2/change%20tracking%202.zip?dl=0.

I think you do actually have dvipost. Your log file suggests that it is
here:
/home/paul/texmf/tex/latex/dvipost/dvipost.sty

I wonder if this could be the critical difference between your setup and
Kornel's/mine. If you are curious enough to take the risk of tweaking
your system, you could try uninstalling dvipost and reconfiguring LyX
and trying again. If it works for you after, then this might be a LyX
bug.

> Regarding XeTeX, it's installed, and I have the option to export to "LaTeX
> (XeTeX)", but there's no option in Document > View (Other Formats) that
> mentions XeTeX.

I find this strange. I did not do anything special to set it up. I would
be *slightly* worried that something is off for your LaTeX installation
(note though that I know little about LaTeX installations). XeTeX is
somewhat mature so it should be in TL 2013. On the command line can you
run

  xelatex --version

Scott