On Wed, Oct 21, 2015 at 03:26:50PM +0000, Paul A. Rubin wrote:

> After uninstalling dvipost and reconfiguring LyX, nothing changed -- no
> change annotations in the output other than pdflatex.

OK then we need to do another round of you exporting to .tex. The reason
is that I do not have dvipost installed (and it is not in the repos for
Ubuntu 15.04) so I cannot compile the .tex files that you sent nor can I
compare your .tex files with the output I get. This is because LyX
generates different .tex code based on which packages you have
installed. If you reexport the .lyx file to .tex then I can do the above
comparisons because now that you have uninstalled dvipost LyX will
generate .tex output for you that is comparable with mine.

Sorry to put you through several iterations of this but after one more
round we should know whether the problem is that LyX is producing bad
.tex for you or the .tex code is good but something goes wrong with the
compilation.

> > > Regarding XeTeX, it's installed, and I have the option to export to "LaTeX
> > > (XeTeX)", but there's no option in Document > View (Other Formats) that
> > > mentions XeTeX.
> >
> > I find this strange. I did not do anything special to set it up. I would
> > be *slightly* worried that something is off for your LaTeX installation
> > (note though that I know little about LaTeX installations). XeTeX is
> > somewhat mature so it should be in TL 2013. On the command line can you
> > run
> >
> >   xelatex --version
> >
> This turns out to be a TeXLive "feature": the xetex binary was installed by
> the texlive-binaries package, but xelatex was not installed (different,
> optional, package). After installing it (and yet another reconfiguration), I
> can view the PDF output using XeTeX, and it joins pdflatex on the short list
> of compilations that do show the change tracking stuff.

Ah makes sense. This is good to know.

Scott