On Fri, 2006-03-10 at 08:39 +0100, Lars Gullik Bjønnes wrote:
> Martin Vermeer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> | > Any work on this scale on the qt3 frontend is a waste of resources.
> |
> | And as usual the biggest expenditure of resources would be on the
> | diplomatic effort to turn around/get around the naysayers. Hey, this is
> | free software! People spend their personal resources as they see fit.
>
> I mught usualy be counted as one of the naysayers, but I certainly
> won't try to stop any work on this.

Saying nay to a bad idea is a good thing.

> I belive that qt3 will stay of a (long) while yet.

That's it... what I don't like is opposing an agreed good idea with the
argument "don't you have anything better to do".

BTW on a side note: did anybody else notice how good it is that we have
GUI front-end independence, even if one would hold that having multiple
front-ends is undesirable: LyX contains a number of external elements
that evolve in time, like C++, boost, and the GUI toolkit(s). Of these,
C++ is standardised and unchanging (even if the compiler is not), boost
a bit less so. But the most volatile external element is the GUI. It is
actively developed and changes rapidly.

And thanks to GUI-I, we could just drop in Abdel's qt4 without in any
way destabilising the rest of LyX. Great isn't it?

Another BTW: when will be have the 'personal' or 'sandbox' branch
directory? We have SVN now but psychologically we're still in CVS.

- Martin