"William H. Magill" wrote:

> This is the real issue.
>
> I've been through many Unix upgrades on many different platforms and
> they all have exactly the same characteristic.
>
> There is hardware which runs releases which run fine on the hardware
> which existed when they were released. But that same hardware has all
> kinds of problems with "new releases" which were developed and
> optimized on "new hardware." Doesn't matter the vendor -- DEC, IBM,
> SUN, SGI, HP they have all have had the same problems. And Linux is an
> unmitigated disaster every time a new release come out, you get to sit
> around and twiddle things for days just to get it to boot.

That has not been my experience. I've run 3 revs on the same HP machine
without problem (9.04-10.2-11.0), 2 full revs and many dot revs on Sun
(SunOS to Solaris 2.1-2.4), ditto for IBM (3.25 to 4.1-4.3.3), and 2 on
Sequent (4.0.4 to 4.4.2 - yeah I know this looks like a dot release, but
trust me it was not).

My first linux box is running RH8.0 now, having gone from 5.2 to 6.2 to 7.1.
All that on a Pentium 133 with 128MB RAM. I have another somewhat newer that
gone 3 steps from 5.2 to 7.1. Neither of these systems has ever failed to
boot as part of the upgrade.