On Tuesday, January 7, 2003, at 02:37  PM, Jeffrey Melloy wrote:
You really shouldn't seeing any stuff like that that's entirely random. My bet would be bad RAM. I'd say dig out your hardware checkup disk and run it. If it's not ram, it's almost definitely a hardware problem, since that's about the only stuff that runs in kernel space.
I concur on this -- out-of-spec RAM... which worked fine in 10.1.5, won't work with Jaguar.

It's one aspect of hardware engineering...

Performance optimizations (aka improvements) are frequently made by trimming tolerances for things, on the assumption that components will adhere to a particular spec. Consequently things which will operate within a large tolerance window, will fail when that window size is reduced.

In the old days of discrete components things like resistors and capacitors came with "tolerance" ratings 1% 10%, etc. A classic example of the problem was the original AirPort BaseStation -- they had an infant mortality problem (after 53 weeks) caused by too low a tolerance on a couple of components. Replace those two components and they run "forever."

Now with the new FireWire 800 and integrated BlueTooth in the new powerbooks, it's not much wonder that they won't boot OS 9. While it might be possible, it would take a lot of resources to Qual them and address all of the "disable this component if" issues.

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
# Beige G3 - Rev A motherboard
# Flat-panel iMac (2.1) 800MHz - Super Drive - 768 Meg
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]