On Mon, 6 Jan 2003, Rich & Michaela wrote:

> I've avoided the upgrade to Jaguar for a number of reasons.

Just to be contrary -- as everyone else seems to be saying that Jaguar has
been great for them -- I'll see Ken a "two steps forward and one step
back" and raise you an "the candle that burns twice as bright lasts half
as long."

That is, it's much nicer, everything seems to run faster and there's a lot
more polish to many of the system applications. But I'm also seeing things
like kernel panics & random, fatal interface freezes for the first time
since I dunno maybe 10.0.4 or so, and none of the patch releases since
10.2 have corrected these issues.

And no, I haven't messed with Perl or Apache or anything like that. I'm
seeing this behavior on two G3s, of which one behaved this way almost from
the start with Jaguar.

Then again, as Andrew Langmead has pointed out to me, it's possible that
the hardware on that machine has a flaky memory sector or something, and
I'm willing to accept that -- but it didn't fail this way for the week or
so that I ran it with 10.1 before upgrading. But yeah, both of these
computers are old, and may just Have Issues in the first place.

If you've got newer hardware to run Jaguar on, you might be fine, but in
my experience it has seemed like for all the dozens of enhancements & new
features that Jaguar has brought, there has also been a handful of bugs
and, unfortunately, some of them remain today. That said, the new stuff is
nice enough that, even in spite of the occasional crashes (maybe a couple
per week), I wouldn't want to go back to 10.1 now. Jaguar is better -- I'm
just hoping that 10.3 is a bit more polished :)

--
Chris Devers    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

regular, adj.
UNIX (Of an expression) irregular; convoluted.

One of the many AUTO-ANTONYMS in the DP laxicon. Regular expressions
are ideal if you want to grep (search) for strings that contain
anagrams of "[]\/*()-!~", end with a period, but do not start with a
caret.

    -- from _The Computer Contradictionary_, Stan Kelly-Bootle, 1995